Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story: I recently bought a 2008 smart fortwo for $700. For the price I figured I would either fix it or gut it and make an electric vehicle out of it. This decision is dependent on which path is the least costly to perform. Long story short, SAM module is severely corroded beyond any hope of repair. Mercedes insists a used module cannot be reflashed. The nearest dealership which is a 3hr tow from me wants $2100 to replace the SAM and reprogram 2 new keys. Not happening. So, I'm trying to find either the schematics for or information on where coded information is stored at in the SAM module. If the chip isn't damaged I can lift it from the board and micro solder it to a salvage yard Sam module, or at least that's the idea. I'm open for options.

·
17,384 Posts
SOS can usually do the computer-y things the dealer says is impossible. ;)

Sorta off subject:

Also, if you ever run into issues with the front wheel bearings, the dealership will tell you they can't be replaced and that you have to buy the whole spindle/steering knuckle assembly. Not true!

SKF was the first to market with replacement fortwo front bearings. I'm not sure if they're the original supplier or what, but they discovered the factory bearings are just pressed in. So any shop with a press can do the replacement. Looks like others copied the SKF design and you can now find bearings for cheap on RockAuto. :)

Reactions: heraldhamster

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. As a veteran of the automotive industry of over 20 years it seems the mentality of manufactures and dealers anymore is "Oh, look it's broken. You need another vehicle." I hate that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There has been a slight change of plans. I was able to get up with a local salvage yard that just so happen to have a 12 of 08 Smart Car in it. It's the passion so I don't think that'll make a difference. I just bought every single electrical module out of it. The Sam module instrument cluster Center shifter assembly computer and A Fistful of other modules for a hundred bucks. I don't care if the VIN numbers in them doesn't match my vehicle. If this vehicle survives long enough for the engine to die I'm going to convert it to an electric vehicle anyways. I will post my progress on the complete module swap. Others in areas that their government does not need to access the OBD2 for emissions might be interested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There has been a slight change of plans. I was able to get up with a local salvage yard that just so happen to have a 12 of 08 Smart Car in it. It's the passion so I don't think that'll make a difference. I just bought every single electrical module out of it. The Sam module instrument cluster Center shifter assembly computer and A Fistful of other modules for a hundred bucks. I don't care if the VIN numbers in them doesn't match my vehicle. If this vehicle survives long enough for the engine to die I'm going to convert it to an electric vehicle anyways. I will post my progress on the complete module swap. Others in areas that their government does not need to access the OBD2 for emissions might be interested.
Oh and I got the key as well. I'll be heading back and getting the door tumbler assembly and the glove box lock so it'll be complete.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: it took a bit of work to get the water corrosion out of the connectors and cut and splice in the new connectors. But the module swap was successful. The little one just fired to life. The only difference is the Smart fortwo passion has an electro power steering system that this one does not. I might go back and get the rack I'm not sure yet.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
Oh and I got the key as well. I'll be heading back and getting the door tumbler assembly and the glove box lock so it'll be complete.
Maybe you can tell me this. I see smart keys w/o circuitry, which need to be cut. Will the cut key start the car or do you need the circuitry to sync with an immobilizer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen those. Actually one of the vehicles in the salvage yard has the key with the remote and then a key with no fob on it. To my knowledge the vehicle will not start without a transponder chip. My suspicion is they removed the transponder and taped it to the detection ring or found some other way of by passing the transponder. They do sell cloned keys with no fob control that will start your vehicle.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
Great, because I am working on a non-electronic solution to enter the car that causes no damage.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
I have seen those. Actually one of the vehicles in the salvage yard has the key with the remote and then a key with no fob on it. To my knowledge the vehicle will not start without a transponder chip. My suspicion is they removed the transponder and taped it to the detection ring or found some other way of by passing the transponder. They do sell cloned keys with no fob control that will start your vehicle.
"
They do sell cloned keys with no fob control that will start your vehicle." WHO sells these, please? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"
They do sell cloned keys with no fob control that will start your vehicle." WHO sells these, please? Thanks!
This is one of them. There are others, try calling your local locksmith. Often they can make duplicate clones as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts