Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I don't think it was intentional. But I don't think anyone considered what a large spinning tire would do to someone if it slid into them either.
They will now.
It was tragic that it happened at all. After all, it is just racing cars.
Tony Stewart for one, will never forget it. Sobering thought. I expect that will be nightmare material for him.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I think it was truly an accident.
It was a horrible tragedy that somebody was killed. I question the accident part. The kid went into the race high. That was a conscience choice on his part. I've read a couple of stories that told that he was a known hot-head. Drugs and a bad temper never mix well...

I don't blame Stewart, and I'm glad he was cleared of charges. But it will be a nightmare he is forced to deal with the rest of his life. I do feel sorry for him.

·
17,350 Posts
It was a horrible tragedy that somebody was killed. I question the accident part. The kid went into the race high. That was a conscience choice on his part. I've read a couple of stories that told that he was a known hot-head. Drugs and a bad temper never mix well...
Agreed, not to mention he actually charged at Stewart. On a dirt track and with cars that steer by throttle? Recipe for disaster. :(

Tony hasn't been doing so hot in recent races. You can tell this hit him hard...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Agreed, not to mention he actually charged at Stewart. On a dirt track and with cars that steer by throttle? Recipe for disaster. :(

Tony hasn't been doing so hot in recent races. You can tell this hit him hard...
Yep, I'm not a Tony Stewart fan, even though he is an Indiana native, but I certainly would never wish this on anybody. He's had a couple of really rough events in his life the last few years, and it's tough to get over that. If he can't get past this one soon, I think he'll retire and just concentrate on running the racing shop.

I don't think you ever get over something like this, you just learn to quiet the demons and live with it. It wasn't his fault, but he still knows it was his car that ran over the kid...:(

It's sad because Tony was all about encouraging kids to do what they had a passion for. I have a friend of mine who's son races dirt track. He told me a story about meeting Tony. His son was so excited. Tony took him back to his trailer, gave him the VIP treatment, and encouraged him to keep racing. Sounds good, but the real story happened about 6 months later: At another race, Tony was there. He saw my friend's son, stopped signing autographs and talking to the press, came over to him, and asked how he had been doing. Remembered his name, and invited them both back to his trailer for lunch. That says something about a guy. He wasn't just doing it for glory or publicity. I've never met Tony personally, but my friend tells me he's one heck of a guy.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I hope he will consider counseling/therapy for post traumatic stress disorder.
I witnessed an acquaintance/co-worker push off the side of a balcony backwards. I watched as I tried to figure out what the heck he was doing, just 20 to 30 feet away on the other side of a window wall, first swinging one leg up over the side of the wall,then the other, and push off backwards facing me but in a different realm. He had been hanging out in the hall pacing, and finally made his move thru the private dining room door to the roof top terrace. It was an elite high end Gentlemen's club where I worked for a couple of years in between careers, waiting private dining rooms. That movie still plays in my head along with the POP that echoed outside. The mind is not fast enough to assemble all the data at one time, you realize everything after the fact. The pop was the sound of the body hitting the ground. The visual of the still 21 year old lifeless body, twisted, face up is always the end of my movie. I've gotten over the "What could I have done differently" agonizing over, that occupied more than a little of my life around that time.
Tony will live with a similar movie, accelerator press, sound, probably a brief face time and the bump jostle, that he will never erase from his memory. Tragic. My heart goes out to him. The what could I have done differently will plague him the most for some time to come. He needs a professional who can help him process the nuances to his thinking and self assumed guilt. I could have been friendlier, etc. ad infinitum.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Driving an 800 HP race car weighing in at less than 1,500 pounds,* is not unlike trying to tame a wild beast! Typically all four corners bear a different size and width of tire with the right rear being the largest as it puts down most of the HP to the slippery dirt or clay track. Suspension geometry is also unique to each corner and can vary by track setup.

Winged sprint cars are not set up to “drive” straight or turn precisely at low speeds. They are purpose built to “torque steer” at near 100 MPH through the assistance of the down force provided by the wings as they travel SIDEWAYS on three, sometimes two wheels around a very slippery short track!

Forward vision can be limited by a muddy visor around the tall front hood and through the wings especially the upper wing which droops down on the right side and has a vision impairing right side fairing. Even under caution, no one expects to see a pedestrian walking off the dirt berm and into the racing line?

*Imagine your 1,808 pound smart 451 with a +1150% increase from 71 to 800 HP! Makes Frankensmart look pretty tame . . .

A great read from Popular Mechanics . . .

What You Should Know About the Car Tony Stewart Was Driving

What You Should Know About the Car Tony Stewart Was Driving - Popular Mechanics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts