Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, there is way too much snow in New Hampshire. I get around in my Smart Fortwo Pure. On really snowy days, I drive very carefully. :D

·
He's not mine
9,609 Posts
Yeah, y'all keep hoggin' the cold white stuff up there. You've had more than your share. Ya know, we haven't had any measurable snow in 25 years here.

Drive safely.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When people ask me about the smart and snow, I tell them it's 80% driver and 20% car. I had an all-wheel-drive RAV 4 and I was never complacent about the weather. My caution extends to driving and choosing when not to drive.

·
Registered
832 Posts
We've found that good snow tires make a major difference. Both our NH smarts get us where we need to go.
+1
I think Perry forgot that. It really is 50% snow tires, 30% driver and 20% car.

My smart ED always gets me there, when colleagues with their Subarus stay home:laugh:

With summer tires (or the commonly mis-labeled "all-seasons"), it doesn't matter how good a driver you are, or if you have 4WD.

It's perplexing to me how the unwashed masses still think 4WD is the panacea, and snow tires are crazy. Then they plow their 2 ton monster truck on summer tires into the next snowbank.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I didn't forget about winter tires. . .if you don't have them, wait for the plows to clear the roads or stay home. Slow down. Leave lots of space. No sudden braking or steering moves. Most of what I learned about driving in bad weather came back to exercising good judgment. Oh yes, and that includes not believing that all-wheel drive makes you invincible. So, adjust the percentages as you please, I still put more weight on the driver. Bad drivers in good cars with good tires are dangerous. Comes down to knowing your limits and the limits of your vehicle. My smart gets me through. I don't hide from the weather, but I try not to be stupid. Good luck New Hampshire and the rest of New England, you're having a bad year.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good and bad parts

And you get to pump your own gas in the snow.....ever wish you had stayed in New Jersey? :)
I do miss that part, a little. It took me a little while to figure out how to pump my own gas but it is faster than trying to wait for the attendant to get to me when it is busy.

Being retired means I only go out if I want to and can stay home if the weather is too yucky.

I like my part of NH since I am so close to the beach. My apartment here is also very affordable, when compared to what I found in NJ.
:nerd:

I don't have a problem sending snow to places that really want it. It is nice but I think we have too much and I am more than willing to share it.
>:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts