Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Smarts! I got my car August 24th, 2009. I absolutely love it! Last week I drove to Denver, CO (4320 miles total) without a single issue.

I do need some advice on my convertible top if anyone can help me. I've driven more than 20000 miles, so I'm on my own now. Just two issues: 1) the beige interior is really dirty at the folds bc I drive around with the top down 90% of the time. What's the best method of cleaning it?? 2) just two days ago it stopped going down all the way. Now it stops in position one. How do I fix that??

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it! Also, any other tips for me would be great too! So excited to be in this club!!!

Joseph

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
A vacuum will take off most of the dirt on the headliner. I even used my Cali Duster to knock off most of it because I was too lazy to get out the vacuum. For brand-new look you might need to use some upholstery cleaner.

As far as the top not continuing down past the first stop-- can you hear the motor running but the top won't move? I'm at a loss to imagine what the cause would be... nothing sticking up in the boot or in the track blocking it?

Timo

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You might try to lubricate the mechanism. Call you nearest smart center and ask the service manager what they recommend.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Welcome to SCOA. We are glad to have you.

I believe that your warranty is still valid so I would have them repair the mechanism. Save yourself the hassle and let them worry about it.

As for cleaning, I have yet to clean mine, but get a vacuum and suck the dirt off. Always keep your roll bar clean because that is where your top is picking the dirt up from.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When you find out about the position 2 not going down, please let us know. That is probably uncommon. As for the bar dust/top dirt streaks, I just use a dry microfiber cloth.

Has me thinking if the tan interior cover might be a candidate for Scotchguard. ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the information! I took my Smart to the Tysons dealer and the technician found a switch in the mechanism had been flipped down preventing the top from completing the track. An easy fix :) Again, thanks for all the input. Next step, getting the top clean!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thank you for all the information! I took my Smart to the Tysons dealer and the technician found a switch in the mechanism had been flipped down preventing the top from completing the track. An easy fix :) Again, thanks for all the input. Next step, getting the top clean!
I had the same issue today, I had to push the top down, and it started working again, any idea what switch your tech was talking about?

·
Registered
536 Posts
any chance you have a picture of this switch? I was not able to find it yesterday. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a pic of the switch itself (i'm out of town for a few weeks). But do you know where the little push levers are to release the side-bars? Right above them (in the position 1 stopping point) there is a little silver latch. Depending on which direction you were going (up or down) the latch needs to be reversed. If you forced the roof down, I'm not sure if u broke that latch or not. Also, the technician said it could be one or both. I'd look to see if there is any difference in positions between the two sides. That might help u locate the switch. If not, u can always just take it in and they fix it in like 5 minutes right there in front of you for free. I hope this helps! I'm sorry I don't have a pic or something to show . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't find the latch!

Can you be a bit more specific as to where the latch is? I have looked but can't find anything that resembles a latch or switch. I don't think it will work if I do find it though. After the dealer tried to fix the top the first stage doesn't open all the way. Actually it does, but then jumps back toward the front about 6-8". Anyway, I'd really appreciate any additional info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts