Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post !

Well, I'm off to Europe to get a Smart CDI for my use there, probably a 2003 with around 90K kilometers. I want to bring with me a minimal tool kit for any minor repair and basic maintenance. Does the Smart use a certain subset of tools sizes ? I know some cars use 10mm , 13mm, 15mm 17mm for example.
I know they use a lot of Torx. What sizes should I make sure I have ?
Does Smart use Torx more than standard hex bolts ? Should I bring only sockets, or open ended's as well ?

Incidentally, I can pick up a used CDI for around $4000 . The price of a motorcycle, but has a roof ;)

Thanks for any advise.
-Les

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
You can have "issues" when you bring tools across the border. Might be better to pick up cheap tools once you get there and then toss them before crossing the border.
I have had to fill out the forms for tools and it takes awhile, plus you will be asked for receipts, etc. I picked up a few basics once when I was in Canada, I took one look at the forms and tossed them in the trash. Problem solved!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can have "issues" when you bring tools across the border. Might be better to pick up cheap tools once you get there and then toss them before crossing the border.
I have had to fill out the forms for tools and it takes awhile, plus you will be asked for receipts, etc. I picked up a few basics once when I was in Canada, I took one look at the forms and tossed them in the trash. Problem solved!
Never heard of forms for tools! I've never had my checked luggage looked at either. I will be entering the EU in Germany. Any links to the tools import issue ?

The amount I want to bring would fit in a big ziplock bag. Not engine rebuild tools , lol.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I would consider getting all the tools in a Home Depot (Bauhaus) type store in Germany. They sell cheaply made tools for home owners, courtesy of China of course. For $20 you should be fine. Why schlepp all this overseas?

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
As I recall, it was bringing tools back into the USA that I purchased in Canada. The airlines lost my luggage, tools, manuals, etc when I went there to install a automated cell and do the training. The missing stuff was delivered by airplane, dumped out on the runway in pouring rain, I picked it up out of a water puddle we could have swam in, we headed to the hotel without going through customs and I had to take it all back down to customs and fill out a complete inventory of tools, and declare their value with receipts (which I didn't have) It was truly one messed up trip.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
FWIW
There is (or was) a Customs form, a process actually, that allows you to declare high-value items prior to leaving the U.S. If you do that, you'll have a form to carry with you to prove previous ownership upon your return.
I did that many years ago for a couple of new cameras but was never questioned.
It can be a pain, but it could come in handy if you need it.
I might add that the form included detailed descriptions including model and serial numbers.
I don't know if a small assortment of hand tools would qualify.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't have time to shop in Germany, as I only pass through customs at the airport there. I am getting and using the Smart in Hungary, where the price and choice of tools is more of a problem. I travel with a $30K movie camera usually ( I do cinematography ) and have never had issues or forms with that either, all over the planet. So $100 of tools is a no brainer.

Back to my question :

What tools & sizes should I prep for a Smart CDI tool kit ? I have tried searching and can't find the answer. Are there a subset of sizes that cover most common things, like on most Asian cars I have owned ? Do I need Torx spanners ( wrenches ) as well as e-sockets ? How about allen wrenches ? Or is it all Torx ???

I realize that most Smart drivers are not exactly the types that 'wrench' cars, but I thought I'd try asking.

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
You'll need:

-Standard torx bits or screwdrivers (T25 will remove all body panels, but there are various sizes dotted around. You don't need any particular set)
-e-torx sockets (They're dotted around, you need some if you want to remove the muffler. Again, a sort of "standard" set should be sufficient)
-A regular style socket set (There are various standard hex bolts around)
-1/4" Allen key (If you need to change the gearbox oil)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
To answer your question, the smart uses standard mm wrenches, mm e sockets, and torx.

You will also need something (fork ?) to pry out plastic rivet keepers !

So, the simple answer is really that simple :wink:

I see Flossy beat me to it !!

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
No doubt I had a bad day at the border...

T20, T25, T27 and T30 come to mind for torx and a few metric wrenches, mostly a 10mm to 16mm should do. If you get one of those fancy screwdrivers with the interchangeable bits, it will probably work out OK...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great! Thanks for the infos. I am super excited to get over there and get that little diesel. I have a friend there that may purchase one for me before I arrive, if we see one that is really good advertised. For $4K it's hard to go wrong ( I hope ) !

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
You will also need something (fork ?) to pry out plastic rivet keepers !

I use a Sears Craftsman tack puller. It is a miniature crow bar on the end of a screwdriver handle, and is perfect for pulling rivet keepers.

Allen wrenches? Nope. They're all e-torx.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Allen wrenches? Nope. They're all e-torx.
Basically yes, but not entirely true. The 450 gearbox drain plug needs a hex key to remove. I think that's the only one on the car, but if you want to do that, you need an allen key. Otherwise no.

As for removing rivet keepers, you just need something thin and rigid to get under the edge. I use my swiss army knife, but you could use a flat head screwdriver, a fork as previously suggested, the tack puller would work well I would think, etc. etc.

OP might want to have a look at Club smart Car, we have a much deeper focus on the 450 CDI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts