Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, everyone,
I own a 2010 Smart for Two with regular roof. 80,000 miles on it. In Hawaii. The car sounds a little rusty from the Ocean and otherwise runs fine.
The car is pure red with black roof.

The top layer of paint on the roof has bubbled up and peeled away. (the front panel in front too! I am replacing that for sure).

So what should I do with the roof?

One body shop says to replace the roof bc the exposed base of the roof will crack from UV.
Another body shop says no need to do anything, the base part is made out of carbon and will be fine.
Mercedes phone rep said to try repainting it but since the car is 5 yrs old, it is better to just replace the roof.
Vinyl wrap peeps say the roof is textured so vinyl won't stick to it.
I see some owners posting they covered the roof with some wrap. Seems like those are all pretty new cars? There are no reports as to how that wrap or paint is holding up in time.

SO - what to do??? Insurance is willing to replace the roof now for $500. Full price is $1100 (and labor, most likely).

Thanks!
Milica

Hi, I have 2010 Smart for 2.

The outer layer of the roof paint has bubbled up and peeled away.

I see that other owners had the same problem but I don't see how they resolved it. Seems like some people put a layer of paint or some kind of covering?

The vinyl wrap guys say that the roof is textured so nothing will stick to it.
Body shop wants to totally replace the roof.
Mercedes online help says that the roof can be just repainted but since it is 5 yrs old it would be best to just replace the roof.

Right now insurance is willing to replace the roof, for 500$. Full price is 1100 plus labor. Car is 5 yrs old, parked outside in Hawaii sun, and has 80,000 miles.

ANY IDEAS? thanks!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
I have 2010 Smart for 2.

The outer layer of the roof paint has bubbled up and peeled away.

Right now insurance is willing to replace the roof, for 500$. Full price is 1100 plus labor. Car is 5 yrs old, parked outside in Hawaii sun, and has 80,000 miles.

ANY IDEAS? thanks!
Curious, what is the basis of your insurance claim?

Guessing that the $500 is your deductible? I'd get them started on that "deal" today!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I used a vinyl wrap on mine, the peeled part showed from underneath if you looked hard for it, but it turned out good. Make sure you remove all the peeling coating first. If it won't all come off, just get the loose stuff. I used a carbon fiber print and it looked like the real thing. I used a silicone caulk on the front and sides to help hold it in the recesses. The back can be tucked under and it holds good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roof paint bubbled up and peeled away

Hi I am posting this for 3rd time but I never see it so trying again...

2010 smart for two, red color, 80,000 miles, Hawaii, sun.
2 yrs ago top coat of roof paint started bubbling and now it is almost totally peeled away.
*** WILL THE ROOF GET DAMAGED FROM UV IF THIS TOP COAT OF PROTECTIVE PAINT IS GONE?****

Should I replace the roof? Recoat it with a wrap? Repaint it?
Replacing the roof is 500$ right now bc the insurance will pay for it. THe full price is 1100$.

One body shop said replace roof, another shop said don't worry, the roof will be ok bc it is composite material, someone else said just wrap it, etc. ???

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you John!
How old was your "peel away"? My car is 5 yrs old and it was peeled for almost 2 years now....

How expensive was the vimyl wrap, seems like you did it yourself?
And it is lasting? For how long?
The vinyl shop told me the wrap won't stick but seems like it does.... ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Body shop said that someone must have spilled some chemical on my roof. It was a little "too much" bubbly. Combined with the fact that they slashed my tire... sounds right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if wrapping is not an option then i would just plastidip it.
not sure how long it would last... but 5$ for a can would not bug me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I meant to take my Smartie down to the local Bullet spray on liner place to see just what they would take to spray on their liner product, as my top has bubbled and much has come off in virtual sheets lately. Mine is a '10 with the hard top. I had a thread here in the recent past over asking if anyone had use Rino Liner or such a product on their Smart Car roof and how they liked or disliked the results, but, other than the answer of someone using a wrap product, I got no response, I believe. The Bullet Spray On Liner is the only liner manufacturer located near my home town and all the others are much further away in Norman or Ok. City.

http://bulletlinerofada.com/

They claim they have multiple colors and can finish out any project in about 2 hours. I didn't see any price listed at their web site, so I planned to check it out for myself as an option. However, even as I type, we have a major thunderstorm going on here, so no telling as to when I'll get to check on this product.

Not sure if it will work or not and not sure what it may look like if applied. Lots of questions about it, but I am doubtful it would look any worse than how my top currently looks, Been wondering about something besides just the stock black top, too. If I get to check it all out, I'll post the info. Cost is a factor, as well, as I am one cheapo individual most of the time. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I redid the roof on my Pure using a wrap I got off Ebay. turned out nice!! I used a carbon fibre print and it really looked good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I redid the roof on my Pure using a wrap I got off Ebay. turned out nice!! I used a carbon fibre print and it really looked good.
Did you document the procedure you used to wrap your top? I would like to wrap,plastic dip, or paint with plastic spray paint it. I am thinking white would make it a little cooler. The top is not in too bad a shape so I figure to just do a good cleaning to it.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I bought 08 the roof was like leather. I read and saw it was basically a light giant headlight (same material) so I treated it as such and sure enough it turned crystal clear (tint s on the inside) once I did the same thing I did with the headlights. Clears right up and it shines like new. Easy peasy. Yeah took all day, but cost like 15 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
There are 2 different roof's, one is a panoramic roof, and the other is a 'solid roof' which has a wrap like material glued onto it. Most wraps only last 3-5 years before needing replacement. The panoramic roof gets a crazing similar to what you see on some airplane windows. Probably made of the same material I would guess. refinishing a badly crazed roof would involve taking off the top layer that is damaged, and re-coating it to protect it from UV rays. (as AztroRover stated)

Sounds like the OP is talking about the 'solid roof' and that would need to be peeled off down to the stuff that is still solidly attached and re-coated Both are cosmetic and do not affect the structure of the roof.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I would try a small section first. It may cause the the rof material to peel up more, or the adhesive to bubble up worse. Hopefully it works!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to another auto wrap place and he said to remove the clear coat that is flaking off and he would wrap ii. He suggested using a pressure washer at a DIY auto wash place. I'll try my pressure washer first.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts