Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone know what the torque setting/s are for the rear cross-member stabilizer? Part # 4513100222

Mine was bent so I'm replacing it. The new/used one just arrived. :)

Thank you

Attachments

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
They are a little difficult to put back on. I started the upper bolts first. Then do one of the lower ones. The last bottom one won't line up, so you have to put a long breaker bar or a piece of pipe on the end of the axle and you'll be surprised how easily you can move it into position. Be sure you have no weight on the back wheels and don't have your shocks disconnected during either. I learned to deal with this rascal the hard way and regardless of what anyone says a little brute force goes a long way.
Here's the torque which are in Nanometers, but I put the conversion chart to foot pounds after.DCO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last bottom one won't line up, so you have to put a long breaker bar or a piece of pipe on the end of the axle and you'll be surprised how easily you can move it into position.
I can't quite picture that, but I'm sure I'll get it once I'm underneath.

Thank you very much, DCO! :)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I found on my smart, I had to start the upper bolt on the driver's side first, then install the passenger side where the assembly bolts to the subframe. I have no idea why. I started the passenger side first, and could not get the driver's side bolt in. Went back and did driver's side first, and the passenger bolt went right in...:shrug:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found on my smart, I had to start the upper bolt on the driver's side first, then install the passenger side where the assembly bolts to the subframe. I have no idea why. I started the passenger side first, and could not get the driver's side bolt in. Went back and did driver's side first, and the passenger bolt went right in...:shrug:
LOL. OK. I'll consider that when I install it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys. Looking at the top torque chart I realize I don't know which goes to which/what. Can you enlighten me please?

"Integral carrier"? etc...

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Since you have a 451, use the last part of the chart pointed to by the red arrow. You really only need to be concerned with the bottom 2 entries. The crossmember to integral carrier is the upper 2 bolts of the crossmember, I don't know why they just don't say crossmember to frame, that would make it so much easier. Then the crossmember to axle tube is the bottom two swing arm parts and has the star looking washers on the bolt. There is supposedly an adjustment for the swing arms where they pivot from the middle of the crossmember. It is under the heat shield material. I didn't bother to investigate this on my install because I was installing the original crossmember back in the car, but I guess it can have an effect on tire wear on the rear. It's normal for the rear tire to no be straight up and down as they are cambered a little and I don't remember off the top of my head if it is positive or negative camber. There is a post here that mentions it on it somewhere. Hope this helps..Good luck with your project. DCO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks DCO! That makes sense now.

Yeah. My alignment guy told me that those are indeed adjustable, so I need to bring it in after I install it.

Thanks again. :)
~
Edit: After looking closely at the unit, there are no adjustable points at all. So that is false.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
You are right Pinan, the rear camber is set in stone and is NOT adjustable. I stand corrected on that. There is a old post that explains this:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/smart-rear-wheel-camber-6031/

I thought that I had read about an adjustment under the heat shield material for the lower arms, but I must be mistaken. I blame it on old synapses!! Did not mean to mislead.
Good luck with your installation. DCO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts