Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll figger this car out
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many newer cars, Torx drive fasteners are found on the smart fortwo. I own 2x 2009 models and as I gather tools, I want to be sure that I have all the relevant Torx drives for emergency work.

I'd like people's opinions as to the sizes of Torx that you use.

My plan is to have both individual wrenches and Torx sockets, since both come in handy. I noticed that small sockets with a universal joint are often the only way to remove the seats.

Right now my emergency socket kit for the smart consists of:
long/short Torx wrenches in these sizes: 7,8,9,10,15,20,25,30,40,45
1/4" drive sockets for these sizes
two extensions, one 2" and one 6"
1/4" drive universal joint
1/4" breaker bar and 1/4" socket
I also have sockets from 4mm-13mm in 1/4" plus 15 and 17mm 3/8" drive plus breaker bar.
The kit also includes:
two Felo reversible screwdrivers for flat blade and Phillips
two smaller diameter mandrels
one small ball pein hammer
several pairs of pliers and a pair of cutters.

Your comments appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good afternoon,
A decent set of E torx (Star) 3/8 drive.
Magnetic torx screwdriver set.
Trim removal tool set, to protect all those plastic pieces we have removed more than once.
But...my all time favorite and the tool that has bailed us out (closed box wrench ratcheting in E10/E12) which saved use a mountain of grief removing the heat shields over the cat, as well as the cat bolts attaching the flex pipe to the old muffler. I found there are a lot of bolts on the car in size E12.

·
I'll figger this car out
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good afternoon,
A decent set of E torx (Star) 3/8 drive.
Magnetic torx screwdriver set.
Trim removal tool set, to protect all those plastic pieces we have removed more than once.
But...my all time favorite and the tool that has bailed us out (closed box wrench ratcheting in E10/E12) which saved use a mountain of grief removing the heat shields over the cat, as well as the cat bolts attaching the flex pipe to the old muffler. I found there are a lot of bolts on the car in size E12.
WOW! Thanks for this, didn't know. I have located some inexpensive sets of these. In your opinion, what is the largest size required?

·
Registered
158 Posts
WOW! Thanks for this, didn't know. I have located some inexpensive sets of these. In your opinion, what is the largest size required?
Oh You’re so welcome sweetie,
The E-torx we bought E4 to E20. Most I doubt we will ever use, but you know the Ole story about not having the right size.
The standard Torx we went from T5 to T40 magnetic because it’s a PITA removing something and losing the screw. Go for the magnetic (Amazon)
The Panel removal tools we picked up the 23 piece kit again off Amazon. This kit has proved invaluable when it comes to removing those plastic pieces and connectors. The car is loaded with clips.
Paula

·
I'll figger this car out
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The E-torx we bought E4 to E20. Most I doubt we will ever use, but you know the Ole story about not having the right size.
The standard Torx we went from T5 to T40 magnetic because it’s a PITA removing something and losing the screw. Go for the magnetic (Amazon)
The Panel removal tools we picked up the 23 piece kit again off Amazon. This kit has proved invaluable when it comes to removing those plastic pieces and connectors. The car is loaded with clips.
Paula
Paula,
Thanks again. Next week I will make an insert that fits inside the rear storage compartment to hold all tools . Photos soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That sounds like a wonderful idea as space is at a premium in our beloved smarts. As time goes on you will discover what tools you use most.
I would love to see the finished product, so if possible send a picture.
Have a safe happy rest of the weekend.

·
I'll figger this car out
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paula
If you happen to remember the number of the panel clip removal set on Amazon, I'll buy a set online. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
guaranteed that when you have a problem, you will need the one tool you don't have.
Also a good strong flashlight and a mirror for looking around corners will help to find that bolt that dropped

·
I'll figger this car out
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guaranteed that when you have a problem, you will need the one tool you don't have.
Also a good strong flashlight and a mirror for looking around corners will help to find that bolt that dropped
tHANKS!
I did buy both of those and have them, including a long articulated cable with a flashlight end for use in hard to see areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts