Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So .... I'm driving down the freeway (2009 Brabus coupe) at the legal limit (well .... close) and I push the throttle a bit and ...... nothing happens. I glance at the instrument cluster and its lit up like a Christmas tree .... every light on. I manage to coast off the interstate, stop and try to re-start the car. Key on, all the electrics (radio, lights, fan, etc) power up, but the engine doesn't turn over. Now I see the three "bars of death" in the dashboard display. I call 1 800 smart usa. They have me go through the "re-set the transmission" routine (key to position 1, move the shift lever from Park, through all the gears and back to Park. Key off). Success. I'm back on my way.

Cut to Monday .... at the smart center. The service department goes over the car from head to toe (or is it stem to stern) and find everything in good working order. They did find all of the "system failures" in the car's "log". It seems everything electronic got error messages at the same time and the car just shut down. They have never seen anything like this before.

I've drive the car at least 100 miles since the "shut down" and so far all is well. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Key bump?

When the exact same thing happened to me, it was to to a case of soft drinks in the passenger seat bumping the key and the engine shut down (and lights and three bars of death) while driving on the highway.
Any chance that something bumped the key while you were driving?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
When the exact same thing happened to me, it was to to a case of soft drinks in the passenger seat bumping the key and the engine shut down (and lights and three bars of death) while driving on the highway.
Any chance that something bumped the key while you were driving?
I also had a key bump while on the interstate and the car shut down at interstate speed, but everything went off as if the key had been turned off. I coasted to the side, turned the key off, restarted, and everything was fine. I didn't get the 3 bars of death or any warning lights in my incident, so it might be different. Mine is a 2008 model, so it might be a little different in symptoms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the CG images are a little creepy :eek: (but I laughed anyway). The "bumped key" thing is something to consider. My wife's purse hit the gear lever before we got on the freeway and pushed it to "Manual" mode. I thought nothing of it since I drive using "Manual" mode from time to time. The "key bump" would have to of had a delayed reaction -or- the key gradually slipped .... who knows. It's the best explanation so far! (except for the ghost thing)

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
Something similar happened to me, however I was not driving too fast, all the lights came on and the car started to lurch. I stopped and restarted, same thing. I called the dealer and asked what I should do... They suggested restarting again. I did and it worked fine. I immediatly headed for the dealer, since I had an appointment that day anyhow. Once I got there (about 75 miles) they pulled a bunch of error codes out of the computer. Never had another problem in the last 24K miles, I did have the ScangaugeII replaced as that might have been the problem. Theory is the cable for the SGII may have acted like an antenna and injected stray signals in the can-bus. No way to prove or disprove. I drive through the same spot twice a day, it happened in the parking lot at work. It has not happened since. No packages in the car, just me. Of course they tried to blame it on aftermarket stuff... like the scangauge and the Cruise, but it has not happened since and it has been over a year.

Make sure the problem is well documented and keep a copy of it just in case.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There may be something to the ground theory. Over the weekend, I was operating on my purge valve. I had to jack the car up to get at the lines running down the subframe rail. I was surprised at the corrosion on the steel bolts, one on a ground. I don't know if it's the reaction with the aluminum or cheap bolts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was on the freeway several months ago when the car died. I was in the carpool lane and close to an exit so started to coast up the ramp. Then I noticed that the key was off. It turned out that my 5 year old granddaughter had accidentally hit the key with her foot. I turned the ignition back on and everything was normal.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
I have bumped the key whenI first got my car, seems like where the key is located was just about where I used to rest my hand while driving. Also if you have a largew number of keys on the same key ring, it is easier to bump them and shut off the key.

They did check all the grounds on my car, I believe there are 9 of them, including some under the seats (??)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts