Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Pure
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started looking at smart cars to tow behind our RV. Lots of learning about them, and need some advice. Looking at a 2013 Brabus, 99k miles, or a 2015 passion, 47k miles. Priced about the same, $5500-6000. Anything major to look for? What a blast to drive, looking forward to some fun! Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Brabus is a neat car. The wheels on them, don’t care for pot holes. Easily damage. I’d Buy the newer low mileage smart car. They are pretty dependable cars. Nothing major ever breaks. Very easy to maintain.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
I agree that $6k is a lot to pay for any fortwo with 100k miles. Last year, I bought a 2008 passion with 100k miles for only $1,400. I don't think a few model years and a bodykit are worth that big of a spike.

The passion with 47k for the same price is a better deal. However, at $6k, keep in mind that you're getting really close to the price of a used next generation 453 (2016+), which most people think is a far better car.

Reactions: smark

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Just a quick note on base plate installation. If you are planning on having someone like a shop install your base plate be aware that it is one of the more complex installs out there. It will possibly ad another $3k to the cost of the unit. If I were you and really want a smart for a toad I would look for one that is already set up for towing. By the way here is my setup.

·
Registered
2015 Pure
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! I did read the install instructions for the base plate, doesn’t look like much fun. We are in Arkansas, the prices sure seem to be higher....

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
We love it. Have been a smart car owner since 08. Put dow the $100 bucks and waited and waited. Sold that one several years ago and purchased this mint, at the time, 14 BoCocept Cabriolet. Currently have 26K on him. There was a guy that just sold a complete set up 2012 smart on the the View/Navion Facebook page for less then $4k and it only had 49k on the clock. Check out all the typical rv sites for one. They are out there. Then you can just go pick it up with your RV. BTW, what kind of RV do you have?

·
Registered
2015 Pure
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m still working full time till the end of the year, so can’t take off too long to go pick one up, yet...we have a 2005 Coachmen concord 28, and I think the smart car is gonna be great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's one a cabriolet in Key West, I don't know if still available but check it out 2012 smart car toad - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
HA! That was me selling our toad, all ready for towing.. It was great and we were going to throw in a 1500 dollar tow/braking system.... For not very much money. No interest at all, so we traded the smart in on a new car (not towing any more)..... We would have practically given the toad and all equipment away, but alas no takers.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
That is an interesting set up. Here's mine. All Blue OX with runaway cables, brake away cable for RVI 3 brake system, wire connector for lights. In normal mode you see very little on the car itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to buy a caravan, but I had a hard time choosing the model. Is there a model you can recommend?:)

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
I want to buy a caravan, but I had a hard time choosing the model. Is there a model you can recommend?:)
Welcome! Unfortunately, the American travel trailer (caravan) is going to be vastly different than what you can get in your country. If you're towing with a smart, get a caravan that weighs around 500kg or less. Also check with local authorities on legality.

Reactions: Jhonxw

·
Registered
2015 Pure
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just picked up a 2015 Pure, used to be in the car2go group. 34k miles, pretty good shape, and had a GREAT drive home! Baseplate, wiring, and a wax job, should be good to go. How do you go about getting another key?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just started looking at smart cars to tow behind our RV. Lots of learning about them, and need some advice. Looking at a 2013 Brabus, 99k miles, or a 2015 passion, 47k miles. Priced about the same, $5500-6000. Anything major to look for? What a blast to drive, looking forward to some fun! Thanks for the help....

Our Coachman Miranda with 2011 Passion! Works great

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's my setup. Blue OX baseplate (I installed) and I made the screen cloth under the tow bar to keep rocks from hitting Bluebird. The car tows perfectly with no bungee cord on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2009 Passion with Blue OX base plate and tow bar. put it on myself, BUT it is not a project for the faint of heart as it is best done with the front end panels removed (less than a hours work)....

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been towing a 2009 passion conv for about six years, great to tow I put a battery kill switch in mine . Put car in neutral, put key in first position wait about 26 seconds when the dash lights go off get out off the car turn battery off with switch I put under the hood. Ready to tow. I put a receiver fo the blue ox tow bar in mine. Great car to tow. Has been good to us Sal M

1 - 20 of 27 Posts