Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Early on, been a member since 2007, there were a couple of owners that had the shifter move out of neutral during towing. That destroyed the transmission. So most of us kill the power to the car for that reason. Another thing is bungie cording the steering whee. Some do some don't. To each his own. I prefer to do both. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Early on, been a member since 2007, there were a couple of owners that had the shifter move out of neutral during towing. That destroyed the transmission. So most of us kill the power to the car for that reason. Another thing is bungie cording the steering whee. Some do some don't. To each his own. I prefer to do both. :)
hmmmm, never heard of that.... what does 'power' have to do with the transmission staying in neutral?

Bill

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Smart Car has an electronic shifting for gear changing. It is a 5 speed manual semi-automatic transmission and if an electric problem happens during towing it will send power to the automatic shifter and engage the transmission. This in turn will destroy the transmission at speed, depending on which gear it jumps to.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's my setup. Blue OX baseplate (I installed) and I made the screen cloth under the tow bar to keep rocks from hitting Bluebird. The car tows perfectly with no bungee cord on the steering wheel.
View attachment 65867
Hello Richnjohn, What model year is your Bluebird?

We also have a LTV Unity and recently purchased a 2014 Smart Fortwo as a TOAD. I would love to see the design of your screen cloth under the tow bar to keep rocks away. Please share.

Also, does the Smart Car's odometer register the miles it is towed since the battery is disconnected? Can you offer any other tips for us new Smart Car owners? Thanks.

·
I'll figger this car out
380 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Brabus is a neat car. The wheels on them, don’t care for pot holes. Easily damage. I’d Buy the newer low mileage smart car. They are pretty dependable cars. Nothing major ever breaks. Very easy to maintain.

View attachment 65759
The other issue is incompatibility. It's now easy to find good used parts for the 451 series. I own 4 car groups: Mercedes 123/126, Citroën TA/DS and smart. With spare cars I now have 28. Be careful what you buy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just started looking at smart cars to tow behind our RV. Lots of learning about them, and need some advice. Looking at a 2013 Brabus, 99k miles, or a 2015 passion, 47k miles. Priced about the same, $5500-6000. Anything major to look for? What a blast to drive, looking forward to some fun! Thanks for the help....
I have been towing a 2009 passion cab for seven years, it’s been a great little car to own and tow. I tow it with a sprinter Navion. I did the blue ox base plate myself, also I used the pull hooks in the rear to put a home made bumper on the real, that way I could use magnetic lights and ran the wiring under the car to the front. I did not want to interfere with the cars wiring (the have a lot of computer systems on board) the whole system works great. I put this on the bumper “ I’m pushing this RV as fast as I can”

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
441 Posts
I have been towing a 2009 passion cab for seven years, it’s been a great little car to own and tow. I tow it with a sprinter Navion. I did the blue ox base plate myself, also I used the pull hooks in the rear to put a home made bumper on the real, that way I could use magnetic lights and ran the wiring under the car to the front. I did not want to interfere with the cars wiring (the have a lot of computer systems on board) the whole system works great. I put this on the bumper “ I’m pushing this RV as fast as I can”
Pics when you get a chance, please!

·
I'll figger this car out
380 Posts
Just started looking at smart cars to tow behind our RV. Lots of learning about them, and need some advice. Looking at a 2013 Brabus, 99k miles, or a 2015 passion, 47k miles. Priced about the same, $5500-6000. Anything major to look for? What a blast to drive, looking forward to some fun! Thanks for the help....
I have looked seriously at this and decided that the bast overall value is a full covered trailer for a smart which can serve as repair shop, garage, storage bin and workshop.
In my opinion, the best covered trailer to buy is a two-horse trailer, which fits the car, is longer, lookjs innocuous, has extra room up from for storage, can be used for other items and is heavy enough to easily tow the car. Plus, if needed, you can remove the car, park it and then use the trailer either for sleeping, storage, the base camp HQ or anything else you want.

I picked up a 16' trailer that is covered, 7feet wide and 7 feet tall for about 2500.00. It is obviously also a very useful trailer for other items. Horse trailers usually come equipped with one solid ramp/read door plus electric br5akes and a front door for human use.

Mine was rarely used and needed very little cleaning. It will be further equipped with a diamond plate aluminum floor, side walls covered with Formica and some small front cabinets to hold tire tools, supplies utensils and dry or canned food. My cars/trucks all have air compressors for tires, and I have mad a new set up for all m y smart tools which I will show soon, now that I have organized my life a little more after injuries, a marriage and a honeymoon-- not that the three events go together!

More to come as I set up my new auto research and repair center in a 2700 sq ft pair of buildings.

I mentioned that a Midwest smart convention was a possibility. It may become a reality next year. In addition to food and smart cars, people who can watch nature in the back ten acres. The deer come often and the turkeys and ducks too., with an occasional Citroen peeping out of the foliage...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.