Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I would think the aluminum trailer would be the best way to go. no miles on the car, no worries backing up or with power. Brakes on the trailer, cover the car to minimize road damage, a win win situation.
The only down side is where to put the trailer when you get there, but a 10' trailer won't take up much room.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tow dolly the way to go. Doesn't take up space like a trailer. No need for modification for a tow bar. No problem going ass backwards.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yah I don't know. I have pulled toads for years and still prefer a trailer. You can back up, the little single axle smart car trailers fit mostly under the back of the motorhome except for about 7 feet. Not much more than dolly. To each his own but none of our smart cars have any road wear on them from towing, Just sayin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering, if you tow it backwards, how do you hook up signal lights? There's no metal for magnetic ones is there? Have to use the front signal lights somehow?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I bought a tow dolly today. I was wondering how to tie the steering wheel up when I tow it backwards. Would it need to be a rubber tie down, or can I use a nylon strap that won't let it move at all? It should need to move should it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why would you want it to move? It would fishtail all over the road.

Not a Smart but a rwd Mercedes and before I got ratchet straps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
$6,000 to install a Blue Ox up in Canada. $1600 for a tow dolly.
You should move to another province, in 2015 I had a base plate put on my 2009 Smart and it cost me $775. including the electrical wiring for rear tail lights and flashers.
Then I bought a "kill switch", 2 battery cables and a 32" rubber bungy to help the steering while towing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a trailer, is it possible to put a rear hitch on the Smart car so that you can move the trailer around in the campground? I've never been to one, so I don't know what you'd have to do. Seems it would be awkward to move it around with the motorhome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With a trailer, is it possible to put a rear hitch on the Smart car so that you can move the trailer around in the campground? I've never been to one, so I don't know what you'd have to do. Seems it would be awkward to move it around with the motorhome.
That is the way to do it if you tow a trailer or even a dolly, you do need a rear hitch on the towed vehicule to move that trailer or dolly. :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my solution for my toad. I had a hitch put on and I couldn't put it on the trailer backwards like I wanted because it hung down too far, but seemed to go on OK facing the front. Just have to get a better tie down system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my solution for my toad. I had a hitch put on and I couldn't put it on the trailer backwards like I wanted because it hung down too far, but seemed to go on OK facing the front. Just have to get a better tie down system.

I wonder if these tie downs are part of the trailer? Anyone seen tie-downs
this short?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts