Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of setting my 2013 up to tow behind my motorhome. Looking at the wireless LED tow light bars rather than tapping into the lights on the car. The only problem is that they are magnetic mount, which of course does not work with a plastic Smart. Wondering if anyone has figured out a way to do this, has any found a way to put a metal piece under the top panel? Ideas, suggestions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get a couple of factory rear tow hooks or a couple of bolts the same thread. Attach them to the bumper nuts and weld a couple of flat plates to them. If you want them higher, say 4 inches have somebody manufacture a box onto the bolt/tow hook. Then you can just unscrew them when you're using the car. Guys have done similar things to attach CB/SW/HAM antennas to the car.

Here's the link to the Antenna thread there's a lot of information in this and how to mount different steel plates to the car. Maybe there will be an idea you can use.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f9/anybody-installing-ham-radio-smart-972/

Also my family had an RV supply business years ago. Certain suppliers made preset wiring kits for tow vehicles. However we left the business before the Smart car came out. So I'm not sure if there's one available for it or not maybe someone will chime in. There's no need to cut into the wiring to do these.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Diodes are easy to install

This link is a photo album of the Roadmaster tail light kit that was installed in my 2009 Passion. The service doors inside the right/left rear quart panels makes it easy to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you happy with the diode set up? I'm getting ready to set our 453 up to tow and am trying to decided which way to go on the lights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes I am. I will also be installing them in the 2012 Passion that I recently purchased.
Thank you, I bought the wiring kit. What path did you follow from the front of the car to the compartments behind the lights? Did you go inside the car or under the car?

The instructions for flat towing a 453 state you need to disconnect the battery, do you disconnect the battery when you tow? If you do did that create any issues for the lights? I've read the Roadmaster instructions for wiring the lights and apparently on some vehicles if you disconnect the battery, the tail lights won't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts