Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...new to the forum here and looking for a Smart as we speak. There seems to be some...inconsistency of information regarding Smart being used as a tow vehicle. The 2009 is listed as towable, but some other years aren't. You guys are the experts...can you clarify?

·
Registered
38 Posts
One of the purposes of towing a Smart Car is the light weight. The smart car trailer adds only 510 pounds, not much. You add a enclosed trailer you start adding a lot of weight. I am now towing my 2013 behind my Sprinter motorhome, tows fine. Thought about a small trailer, but no place at home too store and eliminated some campgrounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was reading that you had to have a battery disconnect switch installed before towing four down. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've read some don't, but I do. There's a strong possibility of burning the computer that that controls your shifting gears. Also use a bungee cord on steering wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The garage up here wanted $6000 to install a hitch on my 2008 Fortwo Passion convertible. I can get a car dolly for 1600, so that's what I'm going to do. Supposed to tow it backward I think so you don't add miles. Just wondering, does anyone know if the front wheels need to be locked this way. I would imagine so, and that saves worrying about the key and the battery. Does anyone know how electric brakes work? Would they hook up to the stop light wires, or would you need something in the cab of the motorhome?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you use a tow dolly, you would need to install a brake controller in the motorhome. Not sure that all tow dollies come with brakes. So this would be an added expense as would be the controller. The tow bar with installation on my 2013 including brake and installation was $3,300 USD

·
Registered
24 Posts
The one I wanted has electric brakes and my Unity motorhome has wiring under the seat for the brakes. There is supposed to be a YouTube video about installing.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts