Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wonderful toad. Roadmaster tow bar. Battery disconnect switch.
The only issue I have with the battery disconnect is inability to lock car while towing. But it only takes a minute to go through the power off or power on cycle. So, if we stop for awhile in a public area that doesn't seem secure, like shopping or a tourist stop, I power on and lock the doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wonderful toad. Roadmaster tow bar. Battery disconnect switch.
The only issue I have with the battery disconnect is inability to lock car while towing. But it only takes a minute to go through the power off or power on cycle. So, if we stop for awhile in a public area that doesn't seem secure, like shopping or a tourist stop, I power on and lock the doors.
Try what is in this link:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f417/battery-disconnect-72041/#post857537

·
Registered
46 Posts
The locking with battery disconnected routine seems about as tedious as just cycling through power on/off. Plus, if I lock the doors normally, then the alarm system is active for what that's worth. And exterior switches give another issue besides disabling the alarms. When I power on, if I don't immediately shift into park, I get the 3 bars of death, and then I have to futz around with the switch and shifting until the computer and the gear selection are back in harmony. Power off and on is straightforward as long as I stick to the procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
If you're waiting for an official word from the mother ship... you are going to wait a LONG time. They had all but buried the smart project and on to better things....(those that make $$ for them). Otherwise I think you have the answer you are looking for, Asking time and time again isn't going to change that. But, it's your car. Try it and see what the real answer is. Then a couple of years from now when someone asks this same question again we will all have a definitive answer.

Oh btw my vote (doesn't really matter as I have no skin in the game) is NO!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes, you are correct... a salesman!
Is this a manual for a 2016-17-. . . ?
Does Not Matter the year....16-17's included.The answer is still NO
Check your manual.

Maybe Mister_smart_LA who works at a smart center in California and is a forum member can offer you some further insight, as to why you can't tow a EV smart without it being on a trailer.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you're waiting for an official word from the mother ship... you are going to wait a LONG time. They had all but buried the smart project and on to better things....(those that make $$ for them). Otherwise I think you have the answer you are looking for, Asking time and time again isn't going to change that. But, it's your car. Try it and see what the real answer is. Then a couple of years from now when someone asks this same question again we will all have a definitive answer.

Oh btw my vote (doesn't really matter as I have no skin in the game) is NO!
I like your answer best. 'Try it and see.>:D. After all ' the salesman said yes'

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Is it possible to tow a 2016 Electric Smart?
My vote - NO!

Although hardly an "authority" on towing - the Devil is in the details . . .

The vehicle may be towed only for distances up to 30 miles (50 km) and at a speed not to exceed 30 mph (50 km/h). Otherwise, the electric drive or the high-voltage system could be damaged.

Do not tow other vehicles. Otherwise, the drive system or components of the high-voltage system could be damaged.
Do not tow the vehicle with the front axle raised. Doing so may cause serious damage to the brake system which is not covered by the smart Limited Warranty.

Before towing the vehicle observe the following instructions:

Do not tow with sling-type equipment attached to suspension parts. This may cause damage to the supports if towing on a bumpy road.

Towing the vehicle should only be done using the properly installed towing eye bolt. Never attach a tow cable, tow rope, or tow rod to the vehicle chassis, frame, or suspension parts. Make sure the gear selector lever is in neutral position N while towing the vehicle. Doing otherwise may result in significant drive train damage.

From MY15 ED page 204 - https://www.smart.com/content/dam/smart/CA/pdf/2015_smart_electric_drive_manual6522008013_FINAL.pdf

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes or no?
Hey Witchdokor I have an answer from Mister_smart_LA KAMAAL is a smart car salesman in California.
He answered my request within another post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Hey Mister smart LA
Your knowledge is needed here been trying to page you.

Towable behind an RV?

These folks need an answer to their question.
Unfortunately, the answer is no. Or, "not really." You can only tow for a very limited distance with all 4 wheels down. There are instructions in the owner's manual about that.

Thank You KAMAAL

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Electric? NO Gas? Yes!
Again I think the company line was Gas.....maybe. I seem to remember the mother ship saying the 453 auto was ok to use as a toad. However, the 5 speed manual was not. Those in the know please correct me if I'm wrong. Unlike some I don't have a twitter account so I won't ...... oh never mind:D

21 - 40 of 58 Posts