Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes, the Smart ED is towable, but the rear wheels MUST be off the ground. The best way would be a car transporter or flat-bed utility trailer of at least 2000 lb capacity. But it could also be towed on a tow dolly the rear wheels on the dolly and the steering wheel secured (with tie down straps) in a straight-ahead position.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There was an update to the manual...
It seems that (at least0 the 453 models can be towed "4-down". 0:)

Gas perhaps, but not the 453 EV or EQ... I have a 2018 that is 6 months old. I do not see any change for towing an EV in my manual (451 or 453).

·
Registered
62 Posts
The electric drive are, by manual, not allowed to be towed more than 30km or 40km.

I've got told that's because they are unsure if the regen is definitely not doing anything while beeing towed. So there should be no risk, but as they won't give you there word for it, it's not allowed to tow the smart. Honestly I haven't got completely why it's not allowed, that's also why I would not tow the smart over long distances.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
With respect to the original question: in reading the owner's manual, I interpret the contents to suggest that smart doesn't recommend these cars for regular towing (such as thousands of miles behind an RV), even if towed with the rear wheels off the ground.
The front wheels are just wheels free-rolling on bearings on a steering knuckles. There are the ABS wheel speed sensors - but if the key switch is off, the ABS is off. The most critical thing is that a fail-proof way of solidly securing the steering wheel precisely straight ahead need to be employed or the car could swing right off the road (no front wheel caster stability when the car is rolling backward!)

And that certainly would makes MB rightfully nervous about recommending towing with just the rear wheels up in the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI, just in case it helps, I have towed my 2008 Gas Cabriolet for over 10,000 miles, four down, behind my RV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
G'day, have flat towed the 451 for about 25,000klms Down under, no issues whatsoever. Return of the steering wheel to center by a couple of bungee cords was the only must do. I lifted the front suspension up by about 50mm, fitted urethane donuts all around to stop the suspension travel from bottoming out over pot holes etc, fitted 195/60 15s for yet greater traction and ground clearance, also fitted a battery disconnect switch hardly used since. Wired the (Aux wire) trailer/toad light wiring, so that the Smart Toad Battery gets charged from the MH whilst connected under tow.
We flat tow the 451 when travelling mostly blacktop around the Aussie coast, and switch to flat towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 kitted up for tackling out back and rough terrain.
Greetings from Down under.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
As a reminder - this topic is about towing an electric drive (ED). The ED has is a totally different driveline than the gas version. It has no neutral gear for starters - the wheels are permanently connected to the electric motor via a reduction gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts