Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Smart can be towed, four on the ground, as in behind a motorhome? :confused:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I have done some research and have found just as many sources saying you can as say you can't. A lot of it depends on what type of transmission (several types available in Europe among the 450 and 451 models). I would strongly suggest that you not rely on any response except that of a dealer. It is possible that "a-frame" towing will void the warranty on driveline damage. The owner's manual will indicate whether the car can be towed in that fashion.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Flat Towing

In Europe and the UK the smart is towed behind motor home and it is NOT necessary to use a dolly OR a trailer.

I noticed that smart usa has recently added the following entry to their FAQ page:

smart USA plans to develop a tow-bar for the smart fortwo that can attach to the front of the vehicle to allow for flat towing. In addition, the car can be towed on a flat bed.​

This seems to me a clear implication that flat towing the smart is OK.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
smart USA plans to develop a tow-bar for the smart fortwo that can attach to the front of the vehicle to allow for flat towing. In addition, the car can be towed on a flat bed.​

This seems to me a clear implication that flat towing the smart is OK.
Here's a functional link to that FAQ page:Smart FAQs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Smart cars can be towed 4 down as I did 300miles over the weekend with a new car picked up 12/17 and fitted with roadmaster system. Follow rules in manual brakes- parking and regular on, move gear to neutral .turn key as far left as possible, leave it in slot. release brakes, turn off non tow switch on dash - see manua, l close door and go. mileage does not register and MH did not notice it was pulling such a light vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my Passion from Smart Center in Cincinnati, OH. Having Blue Ox base plat installed and tow bar for same. According to owner's manuel all you have to do is put in "N" and turn key back as far as you can to the off position and then turn off the tow switch and the battery kill switch that will have to be installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smart cars can be towed 4 down as I did 300miles over the weekend with a new car picked up 12/17 and fitted with roadmaster system. Follow rules in manual brakes- parking and regular on, move gear to neutral .turn key as far left as possible, leave it in slot. release brakes, turn off non tow switch on dash - see manua, l close door and go. mileage does not register and MH did not notice it was pulling such a light vehicle.
Hello whalewatcher. I would like to know how your roadmaster is attached to the front end of your smart car?? And does the installation look clean?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts