Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I have scoured the forums and the web trying to find answers to my questions, but have only found a lot of vague references. So, I'm not posting these questions without having tried to find the answers first.

First off, what is the "unofficial" towing capacity of a 451? I know officially it is "0," but a lot of people do it anyways. I seemed to have seen references to about 600 lbs. Is that accurate?

Second, which wiring harness would I need for wiring my smart so that I could connect it to a trailer? etrailer sells a harness but doesn't list the model. I'm trying to get everything from Amazon (including the hitch) so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I will do the installation myself (with the assistance of my auto-savvy father). Also, where can I find the wiring diagram? I found a link to a PDF in an old post, but the link didn't work anymore.

Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I'm sure others with actual smart car trailer towing experience will chime in soon. The trailer in your link is pretty impressive but pretty "spendy" to me. You may want to explore other alternatives such as those offered by Harbor Freight Utility Trailers & Utility Trailer Tires . With the difference in price, you can do an awful lot of custom fabrication to get just what you want.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Curt hitch bolts right on.
check http://www.curtmfg.com for the exact model

I have seen U-haul do a buy AND INSTALL of their rebranded curt hitch for $200?

You can also search ebay for the curt hitch.

600 lbs is a good rule of thumb.

Euro sites say 500 kilos (about 1100 lbs) MAX.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I know that particular trailer is expensive and there are other cheaper ones, but I don't really have the know how to customize it to my needs and paying for a custom trailer would be more expensive I think.

As for the wiring, it seems to be different from vehicle to vehicle. I've seen all sorts of different ones and I don't know which is correct for the smart fortwo. I already know about the actual hitch and where to find that, I'm just concerned with the wiring.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even if you don't have the skills or know-how to customize a Harbor Freight or similar trailer I'd still seriously consider getting one if I were you. You could probably hire a handy man to mount a piece of CDX plywood on the 40" by 48" Harbor Freight trailer & make a ramp for you & you would still have a lot less invested in it than the cost of the trailer you're considering. For longevity I would also suggest adding LED lights to any trailer you get if it doesn't already have them. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html

Look for a sale or a 20% off coupon & you can save quite a bit of money. I've got one of the 4' x 8' trailers & that thing has taken loads of abuse & paid for itself many times over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps my dad could help me out with that. He's reconstructing a 50 year-old truck, finishing I trailer shouldn't be too big of a deal. I just need to put down the platform and something to strap the cart to. I'll have to price it out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I replaced some of the bolts in the corners of mine with 3/8" eye-bolts. That made it easy to fasten tie-down straps to whatever I wanted to haul. I had a friend weld the eyes on the bolts shut so there was no chance of them coming open but it was probably overkill. If this doesn't make sense to you I imagine your dad would be able to explain it.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Be sure to check and see if HF has any trailers. I know in most places they suspended sale of them. :(. Sad as they were one thing HF sold that was decent. Hopefully they'll be back on the shelves soon bu I know they were pulled recently.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That makes sense. I actually just decided to give Craigslist another look and found a trailer company that make a 4'x6' utility trailer for $300. It has a platform and 1' sides so looks like a good option. Have to email them to find out how much the trailer weighs. Would like to stay under 300# given that I'll have a 300#+ load. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have Northern Tool by us and they sell those same trailers as HF. In fact my parents had one years ago that they mounted a cargo carrier to, but they've since given it away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looking at the specs on the trailer you linked to it appears that it weighs about 400 pounds. That might be a bit more than you were wanting. Other than that the only possible problem I see is that the "open" platform will let more crap from the road through and up onto whatever you're hauling. Otherwise it looks like a solid trailer for the money. I'd still consider LED lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think it would be a big deal to cover the platform. Would be easier than adding sides and such to a HF trailer. I emailed about the weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weight of the trailer is 250 so this might be the way to go. I can put down plywood or even a tarp to cover the bottom while in transit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the trailer only weighs 250 pounds I'd go for it. A piece of plywood would probably be a better choice for covering the bottom than a tarp. A tarp would be too hard to fasten down. It would blow all over the place & just be more headache than it was worth. A piece of CDX plywood held in by carriage bolts with washers & nylock nuts & you'd never have to worry about them coming loose. JMHO
Just got to thinking. I don't remember for sure but I think they make pressure treated plywood. If they do then that's what I'd use instead of CDX. Pretty sure it's what I used on mine.

Or, how about one of these? :D

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I told my 4 kids I wanted to get one of these and add windows & 4 seats with seat belts from a salvage yard. Then I'd use it to drop them off & pick them up at school. The kids said I'd have to put a DVD player in it. Gee, I figured they'd want a heater & AC unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The eBay price included shipping. I think you can get it for less if you can find a dealer nearby. (Just an FYI for when you make your millions. I know you'll still want to pinch your pennies, even then!! Don't we all?)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts