Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We have Northern Tool by us and they sell those same trailers as HF. In fact my parents had one years ago that they mounted a cargo carrier to, but they've since given it away.

I've checked out the N/T trailer, $279.99 + sales tax if you bought it in the store, online at the N/T website $259.99 + sales tax and they'll ship free to your home. If you order through ebates.com you can get 1% to 4% back depending if there's a special on. That's for the 12" wheel one, the 8" one is $229.99.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here is my Journey into smart Trailer towing.

My Curt Hitch and my Harbor Freight self built trailer.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/my-curtis-hitch-just-came-more-questions-please-39009/

1.) Harbor Freight 40X48" trailer. $149.00+tax. = 159.43 (I used a 25% Harbor Freight coupon available quite often online.

2.) About 50 3/8-1¾" bolts with washers and lock nuts. This could vary depending on the quality, but figure about $1 per Bold/Nut/Washer. $50

3.) Pressure treated ¾" Plywood and 4- 10' 1X4s. $35.

4.) 2-Lock Hasps, 2-8" Gate Hinges, 2-Lock Pins and 8 - 3/8"X 2" Eyebolts. $40

5.) Vehicle Registration and tag. $78 (This part for some reason didn't dawn on me)

6.) Trailer Hitch $150 (Self installed)

7.) 1 7/8th" ball and wiring harness $12.

The whole project comes in at just about $530. If your not handy with tools, I would suggest heading to Uhaul to have your trailer hitch installed ~$250-300 and a trailer of this size will probably set you back about $400 + registration/tag/ball. So the DIY saved me about 200 dollars, but I did do the labor so keep that in mind it was about 12 hours total labor for the hitch and building the entire trailer stretched out over a few days.

The Plus side besides a couple of dollars saved is that I was able to customize mine and make it out of high quality parts rather than papier mache and plastic.

Assuming you own your own tools.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've checked out the N/T trailer, $279.99 + sales tax if you bought it in the store, online at the N/T website $259.99 + sales tax and they'll ship free to your home. If you order through ebates.com you can get 1% to 4% back depending if there's a special on. That's for the 12" wheel one, the 8" one is $229.99.

If you decide to go this route and the 12" wheels don't put the trailer too high for your tastes then I'd get them. Lots less bearing wear & longer tire life than the 8" size. Having said that I've put a lot of miles on 8" wheel/tire combos at higher speeds & loads than I like to think about without any problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trailer wiring

Thanks for the responses. I know that particular trailer is expensive and there are other cheaper ones, but I don't really have the know how to customize it to my needs and paying for a custom trailer would be more expensive I think.

As for the wiring, it seems to be different from vehicle to vehicle. I've seen all sorts of different ones and I don't know which is correct for the smart fortwo. I already know about the actual hitch and where to find that, I'm just concerned with the wiring.

The wiring is different than most european cars; no converter needed. Right turn GREEN, Left turn BROWN, Lights YELLOW, Ground WHITE (if I remember right).

As for the trailer, I was lucky enough to find a mid-eighties BESCO trailer. Neat little folding aluminum trailer that only weighs about 60-70 pounds and has a capacity of 350lbs (perfect for luggage or even a couple of bales of straw when needed).

If you can find one, they go for as little as $300. Set up a saved search on ebay; they pop up every now and again.

I bolted a clamshell car-top carrier to it. I made a bumper that bolts to the two rear tow ring receivers (I take it off when I don't need it). The smart doesn't seem to notice that its back there.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
The wiring is different than most european cars; no converter needed. Right turn GREEN, Left turn BROWN, Lights YELLOW, Ground WHITE (if I remember right).

As for the trailer, I was lucky enough to find a mid-eighties BESCO trailer. Neat little folding aluminum trailer that only weighs about 60-70 pounds and has a capacity of 350lbs (perfect for luggage or even a couple of bales of straw when needed).

If you can find one, they go for as little as $300. Set up a saved search on ebay; they pop up every now and again.

I bolted a clamshell car-top carrier to it. I made a bumper that bolts to the two rear tow ring receivers (I take it off when I don't need it). The smart doesn't seem to notice that its back there.
Here's a HOW-TO for trailer wiring I just did a few weeks ago to take guesswork out of what color wire goes where. May have been better to put it in the towing section. :rolleyes: It has everything you need to wire up a set of trailer taillights.

HOW TO: Taillight wiring for trailers/LED's & add-on LED light strip stop/turn lights

·
Registered
66 Posts
Twist86, did you notice that the scooter trailer comes unassembled? I bought one from Home Depot many years ago and the only pieces that were together were the tires and wheels. I'm pretty handy, but I had to get help. Many of the parts were a 2 person install.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The trailer was manufactured in France in the '80s by Germain and Lejour. It is called a Besco. It folds up like a suitcase, weighs about 70 pounds (its mostly aluminum) and has a load capacity of 350 pound.

Remember, the more that your trailer weighs, the less that you can haul.

I've had mine for about 15 years, but never had a use for it until I bought my smart. I was lucky, I bought mine at a yard sale for $25, but I have seen them sell for as much as $1500.

There are currently two Bescos on ebay (4-15-2012) one is at $199 and the other is at $1400. Too bad they aren't making these any longer, they are the perfect trailer for a smart.

I don't care that the trailer folds up, I've never folded mine, the important thing is that it weighs next to nothing. The most that I've hauled with mine is about two hundred pounds and my smart didn't even know it was back there.

If you miss out on the two that are on ebay, set up a search on ebay to notify when one is up for bid. I usually only see one or two per year there.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
My hubby and I try not to pull more than 600lbs. We usually are pulling less than 500lbs.
I think the general consensus on the forum is 600lbs.

I would not pull 900lbs with my smart. I pulled our 5'X8' from Tulsa, OK to Beaumont, TX this summer. It was empty and I would not do that again or recommend it. It didn't weigh 600lbs but had the tail gate was heavy and tall. My little car didn't want to go over 60mph with it, which is what we ended up driving at and less on hills. As I said, I'm not doing that again.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
An update to my Jan 2012 entry, I ended up getting my trailer from Harbor Freight, 12 inch tires instead of the 8 inch ones. It came in 3 boxes that fit in my smart and I assembled it in my back yard. (can I say the biggest thing I carried in my car was my trailer?) I bought the led light kit and replaced the incandescent set that came with the trailer. I used 20% off coupons for them both since I bought them at different times. I used the wiring harness that came with the trailer and male & female spade lugs to connect to the car wiring when towing and store the harness in the tailgate when not towing. I used 3M splices to tap into the vehicle wiring.

I've taken the trailer to OTD twice, a distance of 550 miles one way for me, with camping gear and a granddaughter as passenger (not in the trailer). BTW, installed a Curt hitch on the car myself in my driveway. Locally I've carried quite a load of topsoil & mulch in the trailer as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank for input on trailer & Hitch... I am handicap and use a Scooter trailer to transport my scooter. I'm looking to purchase a 2009 Smart Car and I am trying to find out if it would support (tow) my trailer. What I need to know is the Smart Car GTW (Gross Towing Weight). BTW, how long have you had your Smart Car... any cons and did it come with a spare tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for input... surprise tho. So far, the Smart Car GTW I found is 1653lbs (Not Verified). Also, I've seen pictures of a Smart Car towing a trailer like mine. I may be in error with the trailer's weight... The 900lbs might be the trailer's carrying weight. I had ask someone get the information off the trailer... I should have done it myself!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Sheureka hasn't been seen for a while, but she used to pull a small trailer for her mobility scooter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks all... Update: Trailer weighs 300lbs and can carry a max of 600lbs. The total G.T.W.R is 900lbs. All I need to do is find out how much my scooter weighs to see if I'm in business. BUT, but I have yet another issue... I just found out the Smart Car doesn't come with a spare! I don't like driving without one and I am not pleased with what I seen so far "To Add A Spare" Like to hear how some of you guys solved this matter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2013 Smart Passion and I tow
them with my motorhome.
Follow all procedure before and everything work perfect, but when
unplug from MH and follow instructions from the book they won't
start, repeat both thing ( plug/unplag)
and start.
Sometimes doing that few times.
Please help me out, may be I'm missing something.
All helps greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Towing a trailer with the Smart

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I have scoured the forums and the web trying to find answers to my questions, but have only found a lot of vague references. So, I'm not posting these questions without having tried to find the answers first.

First off, what is the "unofficial" towing capacity of a 451? I know officially it is "0," but a lot of people do it anyways. I seemed to have seen references to about 600 lbs. Is that accurate?

Second, which wiring harness would I need for wiring my smart so that I could connect it to a trailer? etrailer sells a harness but doesn't list the model. I'm trying to get everything from Amazon (including the hitch) so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I will do the installation myself (with the assistance of my auto-savvy father). Also, where can I find the wiring diagram? I found a link to a PDF in an old post, but the link didn't work anymore.

Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Call a U-haul dealer and ask them about the cost of the towbar they rent/sell for the Smart. Back a few years ago they did offer a towable trailer and hitch for the Smart. I never went for the rig, so I can only offer you what I discovered, FWIW.
If they rent you the rig, they will also do the wiring and connector for you. From the top of my head, the number 75-100 pounds downforce on the tow bar and a max load on this trailer axle of 750# is about it. Your results may vary.
If your trailer comes with brakes, the control box will also need adjusting so it brakes the trailer a bit harder than the car brakes haul down the car, or else the trailer may try to pass your car during heavy braking. One of those tiny folding trailers would be OK.
Keep in mind that a trailer this small may not have brakes, so you will have to change your driving style drastically (SLOW DOWN!). If U-haul offers an E-brake for your trailer, you will need a control box under the dash of your car, using a different wiring harness.
IMPORTANT: Balance the load over the trailer axle so that 10% of the load weight pushes down on the tow bar. Ask U-haul to check this for you.

Regards, Gyro

21 - 39 of 39 Posts