Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ecstatic to pick up my new Smart fortwo Passion this past Thursday in Minneapolis, Mn. I drove it back to Michigan to visit relatives. It was great. People smiling, waving and taking photos. Once I got it to Michigan, I planned to tow it back to my hometown in Augusta Georgia. I was unpleasantly surprised to find according to the owners manual that you cannot tow any faster than 30 mph for more than 30 miles. Well I had a 900 mile trip in front of me! I re-organized and purchased a car hauler to transport it. Then came the next issue! :confused:There are three tie down areas in the bumper. The car only comes with one eye bolt. Furthermore there is no cross referencing the threads on the eyebolt. The local nuts and bolt house told me it was neither metric or standard. So my dilema was tying it down. I finally found some locations on the frame and secured it. I leave in the morning for Georgia. I will let you know how it went! I am still looking forward to all of the fun exciting times in my new car!:):)

·
Registered
698 Posts
And, IIRC, the towing info in the manual is incorrect, according to smart, and you can flat tow. Use the Search function above to find discussions on flat towing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And, IIRC, the towing info in the manual is incorrect, according to smart, and you can flat tow. Use the Search function above to find discussions on flat towing.
I have read that you can tow it that is why I planned to tow it. However upon reading the manual, I am not comfortable in risking it......

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my Cabrio tow twice now once in the front and once in the back. It only took one hook to load it up on the flatbed truck and haul it back to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Find a buddy with a MB or BMW theses cars have the hooks. Borrow them for your trip.Not sure if thread size is the same. And my smart is at the dealer so I can't check for you.:cool:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
:confused:There are three tie down areas in the bumper. The car only comes with one eye bolt.
actually, there are NO tie-down areas on the bumper. the tow eye bolts are for towing, not lashing. it is not recommended to use those eye bolts for lashing the vehicle to a dolly or flatbed or whatever. the eye bolt is not designed for the shear forces that come into play. my recommendation would be to use another method.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have read that you can tow it that is why I planned to tow it. However upon reading the manual, I am not comfortable in risking it......
We've been towing ours behind our motorhome for a couple of months now - absolutely no issues other than spending the bucks to have the Blue Ox baseplate installed...

smartUSA says it'll tow four down with no problems...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a different kind of tow bolt. One without an eye on it. I saw one online somewhere but can't find it now. I was custom machined and useful for other projects like a rack or something.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
56 Posts
to Dave777

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I had shopped them there before but couldn't remeber where I had seen them.

Andy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those "Tow Eyes" are only to be used for the loading and unloading of the vehicle onto a flatbed tow truck. They are not to be used to secure the vehicle to the bed. Although I do not have my ForTwo yet (is is in transit right now) I expect you will find some small oval holes (about 5/8" wide and 1-1/4" long) in the underside of the chassis. These are called "T-Slots" and are designed to allow a T-Shaped hook to slip inside, then turn sideways and secure the vehicle.

Do not use the Tow Eye except for horizontal loading and unloading, as it is designed to be pulled in a striaght line forward and not down.

I currently manage a fleet of 12 tow trucks and know of what I speak!

Jim

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
actually, there are NO tie-down areas on the bumper. the tow eye bolts are for towing, not lashing. it is not recommended to use those eye bolts for lashing the vehicle to a dolly or flatbed or whatever. the eye bolt is not designed for the shear forces that come into play. my recommendation would be to use another method.
agree. :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
jmartinsmart, you will find when you get your smart and want to tow it that there are no such T-slots. The underside bellypan is smooth. No holes or access to the chassis. If you think the tow eyes are wimpy, wait till you see the suspension arms. My guess is your average tow truck operator is going to hook to the lower a-arms with his J-hooks and winch it down possibly bending those a-arms in the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked the Smart Salesman how the tow operator was supposed to secure the Smart to a flat bed. He said that they feed should their equipment through the wheel spokes and hold the card down by the rims. I expected them to use something like a basket strap that goes over each tire and holds the tires to the bed. see towpartsnowdotcomslashtowingslashbasketstraps
YMMV

1 - 20 of 22 Posts