Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if anyone saw my post on tire wear when towing on all fours. I bungee my steering wheel from center position at bottom of steering wheel to the center of the seat frame and have noticed major tire wear. I've only been able to get 6 to 8 thousand miles on a set of front tires. Now I am wondering if my bungee mounting position is all wrong. For the life of me I can't understand why I am getting such bad tire wear. I can't believe it's my Blue Ox hitch. The only thing I can think of is it's not tracking correct. Anyone else experiencing such tire wear?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are you bungeeing it so tight that the wheel can't turn at all? Do you make sure the wheels are completely straight ahead before bungeeing? There should be enough "give" in the bungee to allow the wheel to turn - the bungee just ensures that when the wheel comes back to "straight" it doesn't oscillate lock-to-lock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don't know if anyone saw my post on tire wear when towing on all fours. I bungee my steering wheel from center position at bottom of steering wheel to the center of the seat frame and have noticed major tire wear. I've only been able to get 6 to 8 thousand miles on a set of front tires. Now I am wondering if my bungee mounting position is all wrong. For the life of me I can't understand why I am getting such bad tire wear. I can't believe it's my Blue Ox hitch. The only thing I can think of is it's not tracking correct. Anyone else experiencing such tire wear?
You are inducing the wear by the use of a bungee. See my previous post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great comments. If I could always be aware of my tow position when starting out I'd rather not use the bungee. However with the wife on board it's hard to concentrate on that detail when she's screeming in your ear. I've noticed when the car slams from side to side the alignment totally gets screwed up so for the mean time I think I'll use a much loser bungee cord and see if that helps the wear. Thanks for the comments guys.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
"center position at bottom of steering wheel to the center of the seat frame"

I think you should try running the bungee from the CORNERS of the seat frame thru the center position at the bottom of the steering wheel? I think it would allow a little more "give" in the wheel when cornering?

·
Registered
590 Posts
For what it's worth - I have never used a bungee on the steering wheel and do not have a problem with this lock-to-lock oscillation issue.
It's not difficult to avoid it if you know what causes it - see post # 20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bungee cord

I have been trying to tow my smart car it tows great in sweeping turns I get steering wheel slap in tight turns. I have tried the bungee cord. mine is a 2008 smart car. what is the placement of the bungee cord and should it be tight or loose. what size should the cord be aswell. does anyone have any pictures of there hookup

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have been trying to tow my smart car it tows great in sweeping turns I get steering wheel slap in tight turns. I have tried the bungee cord. mine is a 2008 smart car. what is the placement of the bungee cord and should it be tight or loose. what size should the cord be aswell. does anyone have any pictures of there hookup
Look through Post#26 in this thread.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look through Post#26 in this thread.

Regards,

Dan
Thank you for helping me. My steering wheel is not set up like the one in the photo graph out only had two spokes across rants than three so when I the steering wheel turns out slides up the wheel. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Here's a couple:
If you are using a rubber bungee, try cleaning the rubber with acetone as acetone renews rubber and removes oxidation and makes it grippy like new. (Great on paper drive rollers in printers, but do not get it on plastic as it will melt many plastics including steering wheels.) It does evaporate quickly, so the rubber is ready to use once dry.
If using the cloth covered bungee, try wrapping the steering wheel with 3M waterproof bandage tape. It is a stretchy polymer foam skin colored tape that adheres nicely but removes cleanly. The top surface is a rubbery foam polymer that would give some grab to the cloth surface of the bungee. It really does peel off cleanly in one piece when you are done with it. The dimensions of the bungee are important to the success of the auto centering of the wheel in the referenced links with pictures listed earlier. If the 3M skin tape does not give enough grab for the bungee, then add old fashioned friction on top of the foam tape. It has a sticky messy adhesive, so be sure to still use the skin tape that removes cleanly, on the steering wheel first. The 3M waterproof bandage skin tape is available at most pharmacies like Walgreens and can be used to improve friction with the rubber bungee as well. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Here's a third idea: If your steering wheel spokes are at 4 and 8 o'clock on the wheel, wind your bungee around one spoke, then across the wheel around the other spoke then down to the seat on each side. You may have to adjust the length to get the proper and equal tension on both sides.
Have fun with that! :)
The benefit of a single bungee, is that if one side breaks or lets go, the wheel naturally self centers as opposed to yanking the wheel to one side if one of two bungees lets go so I would only reccomend using a single bungee. Good luck.
Rich

21 - 32 of 32 Posts