Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone towed a 2016 Smart with their RV? I see in the manual not to tow over 30 mph and no farther than 30 miles. That won't work for traveling :(. I have seen many older Smarts towed by RVs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, the manual transmission is towable? Show me where it says that in the operating manual (i.e. sanctioned by smart, as was done for 451 models)! (So far, I've only seen assumptions that it is towable, but there are plenty of manual transmission cars in the market that are not approved for towing by the manufacturers, e.g. BMW, Mazda, Mini....)

·
Registered
493 Posts
unlike the old days when you left a car in Neutral , you could tow without worry. it was disconnected from the road free wheeling... todays cars have ABS, Traction Control, CVTs, dual clutches, auto-stick, AWD the list goes on and on.. too many things that could be screwed up by towing.
if they say no tow... dont.. probably for good reason.

steveg.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So, the manual transmission is towable? Show me where it says that in the operating manual (i.e. sanctioned by smart, as was done for 451 models)! (So far, I've only seen assumptions that it is towable, but there are plenty of manual transmission cars in the market that are not approved for towing by the manufacturers, e.g. BMW, Mazda, Mini....)
Towing either transmission over the 30/30 rule will void the warranty on any transmission damage that occurs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts