Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see there are class 1 hitches for the Fortwo which require only slight enlarging of one hole in the frame (from Curt).

I have a 150lb 3 wheel covered recumbent electric bike (Organic Transit ELF) which fits on the 5x8 Uhaul trailers. Trailer + OT ELF are combined 1000lb. tongue weight is about 30lb.

Is the idea of towing this locally feasible with the Fortwo Electric? It would be local only traffic and within 40 miles (yes with available outlets for charging and some recharging stations enroute). I see there are class 1 hitches available for the Fortwo.

It seems this would be best done with a custom lightweight trailer such as a modified jet ski trailer, but I don't have time to do that before an event in 2 weeks requesting the ELF. Alternative is to rent a small truck as rental vans don't have space that is tall enough for the ELF.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Since the ED only has a cargo capacity of 450lbs, including occupants, putting 1000lbs of trailer behind it may not be wise. It is not a lot of weight in comparison to normal towing, but adding 1000 lbs to a GVWR of 2500 is a bunch of weight.

Plus you have computer-controlled brake regen going on that may not know how to handle that extra weight...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the ED only has a cargo capacity of 450lbs, including occupants, putting 1000lbs of trailer behind it may not be wise. It is not a lot of weight in comparison to normal towing, but adding 1000 lbs to a GVWR of 2500 is a bunch of weight.

Plus you have computer-controlled brake regen going on that may not know how to handle that extra weight...
Great point about the braking! It seems the heaviest I should consider towing is something like this 135lb Triton LXT aluminum trailer + 150lb ELF = 300lb load which is less than the 450lb cargo load spec.

Net of this, I'm renting a truck if it turns out to be out of my ride to ride the ELF to the event this time! My better half gets to bring the Smart Electric.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Great point about the braking! It seems the heaviest I should consider towing is something like this 135lb Triton LXT aluminum trailer + 150lb ELF = 300lb load which is less than the 450lb cargo load spec.

Net of this, I'm renting a truck if it turns out to be out of my ride to ride the ELF to the event this time! My better half gets to bring the Smart Electric.
now you are talking!:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts