Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, we're considering a move from the rainy, dreary, weird Portland to warm and sunny Austin, Texas this summer.

I have a few questions about towing capacity.

First some specs;

I have a Smart 2009 Cabriolet. NO tow kit of any kind yet installed.

We would have just some basic stuff for the move, we plan to sell EVERYTHING before we go. We'll have enough for probably a small UHAUL Cargo Carrier. (or other brand? Uhaul's seem decent for under $400.)

First; what set up what you guys recommend? What companies? What rental company for a good Cargo Carrier? Where to install, what to install? Everything I guess.

We'll take the trip there over about 7-14 days, going through VEGAS, and down that way (I have friend in Vegas and want to stop by Utah on the way to see the Canyons I grew up near, St. George).

We'll have two cats with us in the car itself.

So yeah, any recommendations?

**I forgot to mention, if, after all is said and done, the towing apparatus could be used to rack bikes, and haul those, that would be best!**

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
That's quite the trip you have planned.

It is generally recommended that you not tow more than 800lbs with your smart. That is total weight including trailer weight. I try to keep the weight we tow to less than 600lbs. We have both a small motorcycle cargo trailer and a TimeOut camping trailer that we tow.

I found a Curt Hitch on line and my hubby installed it. Uhaul also has a hitch that fits the smart. I think I paid $150 for our hitch but that was about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
-rockauto.com has curt hitches for cheap.
-pimply potheads at Uhaul were flummoxed by the hitch,
so i took it to Pep Boys (where they actually had hydraulic jacks and air tools)
-harborfreight.com sells a cheap and chinese 2-bike rack for the hitch
they also have aluminum cargo baskets

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think you'll be overloading the smart. Rent a truck and keep some of your stuff that you'd end up buying again once you get to Texas.

Find "drive on" loading docks in OR and TX where you can load and unload the smart, then rent a large rental truck. Wait until the car has completely cooled down (don't want the truck's wood deck to catch on fire). Fold the mirrors in. Remove the antenna and load the car in it all the way to the front of the truck. Strap it down with tire straps. Throw a car cover over the car.

Then figure out how to load the rest of the truck behind the car - without having anything fall over onto the car during transport. Cargo netting comes to mind.

Just don't tell rental company your intentions.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Better check with the trailer rental places first I know from past experience there are some vehicles they won’t rent to a CJ5 Jeep for one they say the wheel base is too short I used a friends vehicle to rent it and switched it over but if you do that you’re taking a big chance if something goes wrong.
Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.