Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can imagine that the towing business will be a big one as soon as the campers decide that the smart car is the hottest item to two behind you!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I guess the Smart will not be able to be towed with all four wheels on the ground since it is a semi-auto tranny?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought mine to tow behind my class-c motorhome. This looks like a great trailer to do the job. Where can it be purchased?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Can you explain the pros and cons of the clutchless manual?:rolleyes:
There is no torque converter as in an automatic transmission. The ecu shifts the car, actuating a 'clutch', changing gears, and releasing and reapplying fuel to the engine. Placing the vehicles trans "manualmatic" in Neutral is just like placing a manual transmission in Neutral, it disengages the transmission and engine from the drive line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no torque converter as in an automatic transmission. The ecu shifts the car, actuating a 'clutch', changing gears, and releasing and reapplying fuel to the engine. Placing the vehicles trans "manualmatic" in Neutral is just like placing a manual transmission in Neutral, it disengages the transmission and engine from the drive line.
Correct me if I am wrong, aren't some of the gears in the trans still spinning even though you have it in neutral? So it's not totally disconnected from the drive line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oops double post sorry

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Yea, just like a manual trans, I believe. I towed mine 171 miles just two weeks ago without a problem. With the engine running, place the shift selector in 'N' and turn the key as far counter clockwise as it will go without forcing. The key stays in the ignition so carry a spare beccause the doors lock at 15 -20 mph.

Since the trans is right on the drive axel, I would think (having not seen a tech manual) it is dis-engaged. No drive shaft, there may be two half shafts turning some gearing somewhere in the trans but they are bathed in trans fluid. Towed my beetle 4 down nearly 6000 miles without a problem (manual Trans). For all the Auto in the smart the trans is a manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MichaelJ - It's the same thing for a 451. I tow mine 4 down with a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. Dunerunner has a 451, also. The tranny completely disengages. There's a thread on here with extensive information about towing. Try doing a search for it if you need more information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have pruchased a Triton all aluminum 10ft. trailer 3M capacity with 14" custom wheels on radial tires for approx. $2,000.00 Have the trailer now, still waiting for the car. I will tow it behind my motorhome. Towing the car on a trailer saves wear on the car, keeps it cleaner, and with a trailer you can back up when needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not a semi automatic. It is a manual transmission with a dry clutch like almost all pre WWII cars. It is automatically shifted. It tows like a standard transmission.

Most automatics cannot be towed. There is no lubrication to the parts that are turned at the rear of the transmission that are turned from the rear differential. The oil pumps are turned by the engine and when you are towing the engine is off.

Kleverd1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Delighted with my new Smart and intend to tow behind RV (4 wheel flat). I've been advised smart should not be flat towed in excess of 55mph. Is this true? If so, why?
Would appreciate advice from seasoned road warriors.............. thanx

·
Registered
9 Posts
towing

We've been towing a borrowed Smart four down for 7 mos. I purchased the British towbar and connectors. Now that we have to return the car I have the towbar up for sale (see the Marketplace) if anyone is looking for something much cheaper than a trailer or baseplate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts