Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2008 smart for 2 with auto transmission. My question is can I tow this on a tow dolly, I am thinking
that if I leave motor running and trans in neutral should not do any harm for short tow of less than 20 miles. Any
thought's on this idea?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that too but had idea that with motor running ang in neutral would work.
Thanks for reply

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
oK, first off, it isn't an auto transmission. A common mistake. it is a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch, duplicating an automatic transmission. You have a clutch, just no clutch pedal...
Secondly, towing with the ignition on (or engine) will allow the computer to take a look at the sensors at the wheels and use the traction control, towing on one set of wheels most likely will trigger the system and all sorts of nasty things will happen.

I know lots of people use the 2 wheel tow dolly and a few have had problems, but leave it in park and shut the engine off (towing from the rear) You want the drive wheels on the tow dolly. Best is to tow it flat, or on a trailer. I used a trailer when made the 43 mile drive with a broken spring.

·
17,356 Posts
Yep yep. If you're going to be towing with any set of wheels not moving, you better make sure the car doesn't have power because if that computer wakes up it may freak out and wreak havoc. Heck, some people towing 4 wheels down with the battery connected have learned what catastrophic things can happen if the computer wakes up and/or the gear lever were to bounce/bump into gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the come back, these cars are new to me. what you say about the system makes sense to me, of the "hesation" when it
shifts. Will most likely get trailer to put it on. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts