Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the Smart Car would load and haul in a fifthwheel toy hauler ? That would meet our needs nicely ! Can the toy haulers carry a smart car ? Would the loading ramp handle a smart car ?
Thanks for your consideration !

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah, you can do that

Here's a video of that:

You have to go in about half way into the video and it's really poorly done but it demonstrates the capability.

I'm sure this has come up on SCOA previously.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a Fleetwood Formula 385. I hauled my Suzuki Boulevard C50T and a friend's Nomad from Tampa to Baton Rouge. The two bikes together weigh about 1500 lb or so. The toy hauler is rated for about 3500 lb useful load. The rear ramp is supposedly rated for 3500 lb. I never tow with water in the tanks. But some freshwater would probably help the pin weight ratio a bit.

Come down to FL I will be happy to sell it to anyone. We live here now and don't need it for winter living.

I will clarify that I have not loaded the smart in the Fleetwood but believe I could if desired. I tow with a Ford F350 dually with Tow Boss 4.30 rear end which permits 26,000 GCVW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are wanting to take our SMART in our toy hauler, but we need to be able to tie her down so she doesn't get any bumps or bruises. She came with one tow eye bolt, but we need 3 more because there are 4 ports to insert the bolts. I've been having problems trying to find these bolts, do anyone know where I can find them?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
one of the readers is building a rv trailer to haul behind his tractor/truck. hes using the 450 because of length issues.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
We are wanting to take our SMART in our toy hauler, but we need to be able to tie her down so she doesn't get any bumps or bruises. She came with one tow eye bolt, but we need 3 more because there are 4 ports to insert the bolts. I've been having problems trying to find these bolts, do anyone know where I can find them?
What are your tie-down provisions? I tie-down through my wheels when I tow my smart. Pics in my gallery. You'll have to drill a hole in your front bumper to get to that 4th tow-bolt receiver. Only 3 are accessible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with Bum-bling-B, get a set of wheel tie-downs. each set will have a long strap with an adjustable ratchet & hook on one end and just a hook on the other end. then there's a shorter strap with two loops on each end that goes over the long strap. the long strap feeds behind the wheel while the shorter strap goes around the outside of the wheel. you take up the slack through the ratchet then tighten it down to get it good & snug. there's no marring and no jerking around on the body or frame. so, feasibly, you'll need four sets to tie down one car safely. they aren't cheap either.

this is the scary part & strictly hearsay, but I was told (by AAA) that the tow eyelets on the Minis can pull completely out of the socket when loading on a rollback (ramp type) tow truck. I never saw it happen, but I only towed 3 Minis during my tenure.
(former tow truck driver).

p.s. this may have been mentioned in another post somewhere: but if you ever have to get towed anytime, never, ever let them tow you on a tail boom type tow truck. that's the kind that picks up only one end of the car and drags the other end on it's wheels. trust me on this!

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
When they picked up my 2008, they pulled it up onto a flatbed and used a tow hook underneath the front end. He said that he had seen the tow bolts pull out of the aluminum bumpers as the threaded pieces they go into are not too securely attached. He claimed to use the same tie down holes used for transporting from overseas.

I would lean towards the wheel straps that go over the wheels. It seems they would do the best job and since they are woven straps, would inflict the least damage. Just my opinion.

After watching the video, it might work better to back in since most of the weight is in the rear of the car. That would put more weight nearer the axles on the trailer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We carried a Cabrio in an Outlaw 38' class-A motorcoach for a year or so. The garage needs to be 10.5 feet long or more. The floor needs to be rated for your entire carried load back there not just the curb weight of the car. The lift or ramp needs to be rated and suitable to carry the entire load of the car and driver as well as the heaviest axle load if that is an issue, which most are. I wouldn't want to carry in a garage coach that wasn't well suited to carry 2500lbs and 2000lbs on the ramp or at LEAST 1000lbs max axle load on the ramp.

The tie downs we ended up using were the soft wheel loops which I got made up by Mac's Custom Tiedowns. Use the "good stuff" when it comes to straps and ratchets and floor plates/rings cuz the little bugger can attempt to escape sometimes on rough road or whatever. You do NOT want a car to enter your motorcoach.....

If you are looking at a Fiver, then please do your math and make sure you not only have sufficient capacity to carry a Smart, but also that you are well within the proper pin loading envelope. A whole lot of weight in the garage of some fifth wheel haulers can do bad stuff to the handling of the rig. I've seen it done though....

The little Smart worked just peachy in the garage-coach for us. Very handy. We did eventually decide to go to a tag-axle diesel pusher and currently are towing a Cabrio.
Works fine. We are now out on a 6 month road trip.

Have FUN, but be SAFE.
Do the math.
Can one carry a Smart?
Yep.
Can everybody carry a Smart in ANY toyhauler?
Nope.

:))

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Well said!

Get your center of balance correct too when you load the car in the hauler (or even on a trailer). The "T" on the side of the car below is where your C/B (Center of Balance) should be on an empty car. Take notice the car is a little heavier in the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts