Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TPM sensors....Autel MX vs. Shrader 28214 .. which one?

So I have had a Tpms light on since I bought my smart with 86k miles. I recently had them all scanned and found that one was not giving a reading.

And it made sense too.. that wheel also came without a center cap. Seemed like something had gone on with that wheel.

So we thought the sensor might be damaged but we did find the sensor intact, so then to replace it..

The person with the scanner tool an autel ts601 also has the autel mx programmable sensors. He installed one in the wheel. Got a reading from it.

He plugged into the cars obd II port and says the tool picked up that the car was reading all the sensors now.

The light was still on. I figured I had to drive for at least 10 minutes then press the dash button, but the light hasn't gone off. Still blinks for 60 seconds on startup and then stays on steady. Blinks 5 times if I press the button, while driving, then stays illuminated.

I happen to have a "no programming required" shrader 28214, that's identical to the one removed from the wheel. Think I should have just installed that one from the get-go? Think that one will shut this light off?

I like the idea of an identical replacement for balancing issues as well.
Sorry for the millionth tpms thread. I have a 2010 451 fortwo.
Which one would you choose?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts

New screen name, same person. I finally got the schrader 28214 swapped in.. what do you know, 5 min and 6 miles up the road... tpms light is off. didnt even need to reset the light.

So don't waste your time with an autel-mx. Some thing's I noticed about the autel...it says 433mhz on it, but the schraders say 433.29 mhz The installer left the autel set screw loose so the sensor was probably flapping wildly. Perhaps that had an effect. And finally, it was smaller perhaps lighter than the schrader that came out. Seems like the wheel balance is smoother with a nearly identical schrader back in place, but maybe thats placebo effect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don’t know if this has been addressed previously. If so, apologies.

I just got a set of Shrader 28214 TPMS units in. They are identical to the MB badged ones on some of my rims, minus the star logo. Heck, the MB units actually say Shrader as well. Go figure.

·
I'll figger this car out
332 Posts

New screen name, same person. I finally got the schrader 28214 swapped in.. what do you know, 5 min and 6 miles up the road... tpms light is off. didnt even need to reset the light.

So don't waste your time with an autel-mx. Some thing's I noticed about the autel...it says 433mhz on it, but the schraders say 433.29 mhz The installer left the autel set screw loose so the sensor was probably flapping wildly. Perhaps that had an effect. And finally, it was smaller perhaps lighter than the schrader that came out. Seems like the wheel balance is smoother with a nearly identical schrader back in place, but maybe thats placebo effect.
This is very interesting.
I looked through the service info on my 2009 smart Passion coupe which is 100% stock. In the glove box was a paper saying " TPMS is 431 Mhz." The tires are original and will be changed when the current crisis is over, but I have never had any issues with the TPMS and it does do a self-test when I start the car.

The previous owner was the original one, a college guy with no skills who got the car for use when at school, never did any modding, or even basic maintenance, which is how I got it. But it runs normally, and no tire pressure issues.

How would anyone check on the frequency without using an OBDII or other scanner?

Do individual brands use individual frequencies? If so, how wide a frequency band will the smart TPMS from the OEM receive?

Does anyone know?

Do you think all my sensors may have pooped out but the tires are still ok, and so is the main control?

Or maybe the guy made a mistake on the frequency?

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is very interesting.
I looked through the service info on my 2009 smart Passion coupe which is 100% stock. In the glove box was a paper saying " TPMS is 431 Mhz." The tires are original and will be changed when the current crisis is over, but I have never had any issues with the TPMS and it does do a self-test when I start the car.

The previous owner was the original one, a college guy with no skills who got the car for use when at school, never did any modding, or even basic maintenance, which is how I got it. But it runs normally, and no tire pressure issues.

How would anyone check on the frequency without using an OBDII or other scanner?

Do individual brands use individual frequencies? If so, how wide a frequency band will the smart TPMS from the OEM receive?

Does anyone know?

Do you think all my sensors may have pooped out but the tires are still ok, and so is the main control?

Or maybe the guy made a mistake on the frequency?
What was the piece of paper? Anything official, or just a plain old piece of paper?

My understanding is that the sensors have a finite lifetime, and that 5 years seems to be generally accepted. My 2009 Passion was a single owner, but the guy was pretty good about taking it in when he had issues. He spent about $16k on service in the 11years that he owned it. One of the things that plagued him was TPMS issues.

Tire Rack uses the Shrader units, and I’ve had no problems with two sets of tires from them. The Smart recognizes the sensors without any problems.

It looks like vendors make different units with different frequencies, depending upon the target vehicle. 433 seems to be among the most common. But there are different styles as well, from what I’ve seen.

I would expect your sensors are dead.

·
I'll figger this car out
332 Posts
Let me answer all your questions in one fell swoop:

What was the piece of paper? Anything official, or just a plain old piece of paper?
>> Just a notation on a piece of blank paper written in pen, nothing special. Apparently incorrect, if it is indeed true that the freq for TPMS sensors is 433 MHz or 314.9/315 MHz.
My understanding is that the sensors have a finite lifetime, and that 5 years seems to be generally accepted.
>> I let the air out of one tire to see what would happen, after charging the battery. Upon starting the car, I got a fault from the TPMS system, which rectified itself after I recharged the tire with air. I think they are still good after 10 years.
It looks like vendors make different units with different frequencies, depending upon the target vehicle. 433 seems to be among the most common.
>> This is what I have discovered
>>>> Not sure, maybe I am just lucky. See above.
Thanks for teaching me something.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Let me answer all your questions in one fell swoop:

My understanding is that the sensors have a finite lifetime, and that 5 years seems to be generally accepted.

It looks like vendors make different units with different frequencies, depending upon the target vehicle. 433 seems to be among the most common.

Thanks for teaching me something.
Glad to assist. It seems that the TPMS units are motion activated, and even then they only transmit intermittently, to increase their life, but if you’re pushing 11-12 years on yours, might want to consider replacements. Cheaper than dismounting, replacing, remounting and balancing again, I expect.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My wife’s 2004 Mazda RX8 still has original sensors which still register properly. New stem kits installed with last tire change. On borrowed time I’m certain but changing them out is a no cost deal for me.

·
I'll figger this car out
332 Posts
Glad to assist. It seems that the TPMS units are motion activated, and even then they only transmit intermittently, to increase their life, but if you’re pushing 11-12 years on yours, might want to consider replacements. Cheaper than dismounting, replacing, remounting and balancing again, I expect.
I have seen that many TPMS sensors transmit on 433MHz. Can Audi TPMS sensors be used on non-audi products if the frequency is the same? Will the CANBUS accept the signature?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts