Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before but:
I just got three new tires put on at the Mercedes place for my 2009 smart.
I've never had any problems with the TPMS light and now it's on constantly. I took it back to the place three times and the last time they said it was probably the battery and it was my responsibility.

When I purchase a new tire does the TPMS come with it? I'm just surprised the dealership just blew me off like that.

Any suggestions/comments?

- an old lady in Alpharetta, Georgia

·
Registered
922 Posts
Your TPMS battery is typically good for 6-10 years, so it's not unusual that for a 2009, you'd need to replace the entire unit as the batteries are typically not separately replaceable from the sensor itself. TPMS units almost never are sold with the tires - it's something you'd have to ask for or possibly even provide on your own. What the tire installers often will have is a "kit" that contains new rubber grommets to reinstall the sensor and not leak air.

Many shops will have a device that can read the individual sensors and tell you if they are work and what battery life they might have left. Definitely a Mercedes dealership should have the TPMS units and should not have blown you off like that. But also unless there were some very unusual circumstances, they probably shouldn't have sold you only three tires either - replacing all four is the safe and prudent thing to do in most all instances.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Looked up Smart center of Buckhead GA to figure a location. Found 3 Discount Tire Stores within about 15 miles from Atlanta. Go to www.tires.com and search for the nearest. Should be able to sort it out for you. The sensors need to be the proper type and frequency. No programming necessary to work, so one may need to be replaced, and hopefully the light will go away. I take care of the family's tires and the local store is the only place I go to for tires, just it's called America's Tire over here....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before but:
I just got three new tires put on at the Mercedes place for my 2009 smart.
I've never had any problems with the TPMS light and now it's on constantly. I took it back to the place three times and the last time they said it was probably the battery and it was my responsibility.

When I purchase a new tire does the TPMS come with it? I'm just surprised the dealership just blew me off like that.

Any suggestions/comments?

- an old lady in Alpharetta, Georgia
PM sent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts