Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may still have the original batteries from when the car was built in 08. when batteries die does the lite come on. 8 or 9 years is rather unusual isn't it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure about the Smarts, but I do know that when I had a 2010 Prius, I replaced all the tires and at that time the mechanic said the battery in one of the TPMS was low, sure enough within a couple of months my tire pressure light came on, cost me an extra $100 to replace.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yes, it will come on. That said, you will have to go to a shop with a TPMS scanner to locate which TPMS is bad. Your smarts OBD reader probably won't give you that info.
If you can wait until you need new tires do it all at once while the tires are already off the rims.

I bought 2 NEW MB TPMS for $16 each including shipping for my new rear sized front rims and tires. I like having the same brand and model tires all the way around. Because the car the rear rims came off was a 2009 I'm not going to chance having to replace them later.
"Pay a little more now or a lot more later."

I can rotate my tires.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Sensors, are good for 6-7 years. Before the batteries die. Just replaced my sensors, on another car. Bought them from Rock Auto.com
Their priced, form $35-$66.00. Most tire, and auto parts stores, carry the sensors too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, it will come on. That said, you will have to go to a shop with a TPMS scanner to locate which TPMS is bad. Your smarts OBD reader probably won't give you that info.
If you can wait until you need new tires do it all at once while the tires are already off the rims.

I bought 2 NEW MB TPMS for $16 each including shipping for my new rear sized front rims and tires. I like having the same brand and model tires all the way around. Because the car the rear rims came off was a 2009 I'm not going to chance having to replace them later.
"Pay a little more now or a lot more later."

I can rotate my tires.:D
Great price, where did you purchase these from?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Some of the sensors are programmable and need to be set for the correct mhz to match your car. They sell the sensor cheap and then nail you for the programming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts