Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have caps on all the stems yet periodically in rain my light comes on. i push the button it blinks and goes out. all tire pressures have been checked and are fine. why?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I found that the 'pencil type' pressure gauges are not that accurate. Once I switched to a digital gauge my TPMS light problems went away.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't use a pencil or digital gauge. i use the analog dial type. but that still does not explain why the light comes on at times only in heavy rain

·
Registered
413 Posts
You might have a little water getting in the valve stem. I had a similar problem on my Nissan Armada. Let about half the pressure out to blow the moisture out, then reinflate to the correct pressure. You might also want to try a new set of stem caps.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
try adding a few lbs, or subtracting a few pounds and see if it changes. could be your analog gauge is off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Noticed two things with my smart. If I happened to have the tires filled right up to the recommended pressure cold and drove a few days I would get the light blinking on so it seems to be sensitive to over pressure too. I used to use an analog gauge but switched to a digital which is part of the chuck that I use on my compressor and since switching to this setup I have not had issues with my light popping on vs the analog dial I was using.

The pencil type gauges are definitely not accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts