Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow leak in my rear wheel. Just mounted the tire and cant find it. Just in case its the valve stem is it possible to replace the stem or do I need the TPS unit or worse yet do I need a set of 4?

I will look for other sources of leak but the valve stem is kinda corroded which is weird.

Anyone experience this?

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
You can replace just the stem but then you'll have a constant tire pressure warning light. The TPS includes the stem, so that's the way to go. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
On the stock TPMS, you can replace the stem on the TPMS unit, or go with the 'service pack' that replaces the rubber gaskets and the nut (also has a cap and stem core) seems winter months take their toll with the threads on the stem. Best price I have found for the TPMS parts is on Amazon, and replacing the whole unit is from Tire Rack, but you have to call them as they are not listed on the website.

TPMS batteries usually only last 5-7 years so you may want to replace the whole sensor if it is getting up there in years..

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Spray some soap water around the valve stem. The tire wheel bead. Around the tire tread. To locate you leak. Before replacing anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah did the soapy water thing & found nothing. Was gonna replace the valve core first but its stuck.

How do I replace the tpms so that it communicates with the car?

Jim where do I get the "service pack"?

Or the whole unit for that matter? Whats the technical name to look for?

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Amazon has the service packs. Jim mentioned Tire Rack for the whole part. Once installed, the car and the TPS will start communicating. :)

Here's the Schrader version:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
One you need to dismount the tires, on your car. To remove, and install the new correct sensors ones. Take it to a tire store. Like Jwright said, if your tire pressure is correct. The new ones will start to communicate. They need to be the right sensors, for the smart car. Just replace with new ones.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
On my 451 the local tire dealer replaced the stems, etc and left the original TPMS sensor since the sensors were only a couple years old. Used a Chrysler type service pack IIRC and cost was minimal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I do all my own wrenching on 6 motorcycles (20 yrs racing) and my astro van (& now my smarty)
This includes having a tire machine to pull the tires off the rims if I need/want to.

So what exactly is the service pack?

It seems the pressure sensor works so hopefully that is not the issue

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
So what exactly is the service pack?
From NTB . . .

TPMS Repair: This service kit is recommended each time a tire is repaired or replaced. It includes installing a new TPMS Service (repair) Kit, including grommet nut, grommet, valve cap and valve core. We're required to replace the TPMS service kit if the TPMS sensor is removed during a tire replacement or repair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone show me a link to a replacement TPMS unit I can install? The valve core is stuck in the valve stem so the service pack wont work.

Or I guess lmk if the service pack eliminates the concern about the stuck valve stem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow this is difficult. I have an 08 smart fortwo. Are the TPMS units the same for all years? Some say 2014 & newer.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Can someone show me a link to a replacement TPMS unit I can install? The valve core is stuck in the valve stem so the service pack wont work.

Or I guess lmk if the service pack eliminates the concern about the stuck valve stem.
Service pack should be all you need. Had to replace all 4 valve stems on my 2013. Service packs were of the type used on Chrysler vehicles. Done by a local shop.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What you need are the following items:

Shrader 20016 - TPMS service kit
Shrader 20020 - valve stem

Individually, these parts run under $2 each. Available through RockAuto, Autozone, etc

~toaster

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok Ok so in the end it cost me $7 and was a real piece of cake job. I just got the service pack from pep boys.

Didn't even have to remove the tire, just break the bead and push some wood block in to hold it away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts