1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
907 Posts
I think she's got a good grip on her own style of management. I don't see anything that I'd say is dumb at all.

I've worked for plenty of different managers and they all have their own unique styles. I've also worked as a manager and I'm quite sure that my own style was developed, in part, by the managers that I've worked for through the years.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think she's got a good grip on her own style of management. I don't see anything that I'd say is dumb at all.
Not challenging her "management style" but rather her lack of deliverables after having sat at the helm of DVI for nearly a year . . . :rolleyes:

And, some owners who are knowledgeable of recent smart advertising would recognize the use of "dumb" as a reference to a rather dismal advertising campaign . . .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This reminds me of Donald Rumsfleds' "Known unknowns" speech. Let's talk riddles...

They (M-B/DVI) came in a year ago with guns blazing and where are we now? I don't see much improvement over the PAG days.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
This reminds me of Donald Rumsfleds' "Known unknowns" speech. Let's talk riddles...

They (M-B/DVI) came in a year ago with guns blazing and where are we now? I don't see much improvement over the PAG days.
As a matter of fact...for some folks....it's gotten worse :eek: (smart center closures, parts are still not readily available at a reasonable price).

·
Super Moderator
28,461 Posts
Biggest lack so far, in my opinion of course, is communication from DVI. I'm sure others feel the same. I'd rather get a "hi, we're still here and working things" post from them occasionally than nothing at all. Give them credit at least for the 4 year warranty, the parts price reductions, interaction on owner maintenance issues (although PAG was good at that, too) and some things that will happen with the 2013 model year. It ain't perfect but it's all we got. Anyone can communicate with DVI or with Tracey through the address at the Montvale, NJ HQ. :)

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Biggest lack so far, in my opinion of course, is communication from DVI. I'm sure others feel the same. I'd rather get a "hi, we're still here and working things" post from them occasionally than nothing at all. Give them credit at least for the 4 year warranty, the parts price reductions, interaction on owner maintenance issues (although PAG was good at that, too) and some things that will happen with the 2013 model year. It ain't perfect but it's all we got. Anyone can communicate with DVI or with Tracey through the address at the Montvale, NJ HQ. :)
jwight, thanks for helping me with that impossible question you had posed to me;
"Just to be fair, list 10 specific things you could have realistically done differently."

Per your post MB/DVI has had some diliverables . . .
  1. The 4 year warranty
  2. Parts price reductions on select OEM parts
  3. Continuing the PAG interaction on owner maintenance issues
  4. Some things that will happen with the 2013 model year . . .
Perhaps some others can help fill your list of "10 specific things" that DVI has done as I am really at a loss?

I fully agree that lack of communication from DVI is their Achilles Heel. In an attempt to answer your question - last summer I would have begun my journey by compiling an owner survery similar to that currently being done by Boston College. I would have embraced the ENTHUSIASTIC smart community by attending an event or two - worked for Dave Schrembi. I would have identified the top 25 smart parts that have proven to be prone to failure (rendering a smart unoperable/unsafe) and made them readily available stateside if only at Regional Distribution Centers. And perhaps most important, I would have provided a quarterly update to sUSAi as to early successes and future plans even if they were only baby steps.

Just as we can contact Tracey, in her job she has the need to know and both she and MB know where we live and our smart sleeps. In the interim, it is the lack of communication from DVI that causes we the owners to search for answers in the silence. :confused:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Her use of all the MBA buzz words and her recipe for team glory is hollow.

She can make no waves and has nothing to sell until after 2014... By then she will be gone.

Nothing happened here... A2Jack

·
Banned
907 Posts
Not challenging her "management style" but rather her lack of deliverables after having sat at the helm of DVI for nearly a year . . . :rolleyes:

But the article specifically addresses her views on management and her own management style. If you want to question something other than her management style, then that's fine....but it's not fair to bash her words in the article when it has nothing to do with anything other than her management style.

·
Super Moderator
28,461 Posts
jwight, thanks for helping me with that impossible question you had posed to me;
"Just to be fair, list 10 specific things you could have realistically done differently."

Per your post MB/DVI has had some diliverables . . .
  1. The 4 year warranty
  2. Parts price reductions on select OEM parts
  3. Continuing the PAG interaction on owner maintenance issues
  4. Some things that will happen with the 2013 model year . . .
Perhaps some others can help fill your list of "10 specific things" that DVI has done as I am really at a loss?

I fully agree that lack of communication from DVI is their Achilles Heel. In an attempt to answer your question - last summer I would have begun my journey by compiling an owner survery similar to that currently being done by Boston College. I would have embraced the ENTHUSIASTIC smart community by attending an event or two - worked for Dave Schrembi. I would have identified the top 25 smart parts that have proven to be prone to failure (rendering a smart unoperable/unsafe) and made them readily available stateside if only at Regional Distribution Centers. And perhaps most important, I would have provided a quarterly update to sUSAi as to early successes and future plans even if they were only baby steps.

Just as we can contact Tracey, in her job she has the need to know and both she and MB know where we live and our smart sleeps. In the interim, it is the lack of communication from DVI that causes we the owners to search for answers in the silence. :confused:
Just to clarify, the "10 specific things" was what you would have done, so your post is a great initial list. Don't disagree with anything you mention and will pass them along to DVI. Thanks! :)

·
Banned
907 Posts
And, some owners who are knowledgeable of recent smart advertising would recognize the use of "dumb" as a reference to a rather dismal advertising campaign . . .
Believe it or not, non-owners can also recognize the "dismal" advertising campaign. As a GM of the smart division, are you placing the blame on her for the marketing/advertising of the smart?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What advertising campaign? The last time I recollect seeing anything was well before Christmas. Since then it seems the Mothership and DVI have gone into hiding.

I don't want anyone to say ,"well they have a $99 lease program" either. You can great lease deals on anything you want to.............

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
I didn't read every word ... gotta say that. But, I did read some and found some smart, or un-dumb, thoughts. Fact is, I didn't stumble on anything that struck me as clueless, quite the contrary.

But, actions speak louder than words.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I read every word, and as an article about her management style, my opinion is that she seems like a person I'd like to have as a boss. As far as corporate policies go about dealership location, etc. - that seems to be a separate conversation. I feel very fortunate to have had great service from smart center San Francisco and so far, no issues with the car. (knock on wood) Like everyone else around here, I hope that more smart centers open or more Mercedes dealers handle smart service, and that everybody has the good experiences that I've enjoyed thus far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts