Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all.
I have a Smart model: Fortwo year 2013
I have noticed that the traction control light kits up on the dashboard randomly. It's going between on and off after a few kilometers driven or after overnight.
In addition I also noticed that whenever the Traction Control light comes on , the vehicle's traction from complete stop is very weak.
For instance : if I make a full stop with the vehicle on a very low angle heel , I lift my foot from the brake pedal and the vehicle will start rolling backwards. However if the TC is normal and the dash light is not activated the vehicle will be still even if I don't press the brake on heel.
Please advice if anybody has or had any similar issues and how important the matter is.

Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Understood.
I was more concerned if there is any risk factors until I schedule the vehicle for a service check?
Thanks for your advice.

Registered
As I understand it, the traction control and ABS are frequently intermingled for errors and one can disable the other.

Super Moderator
Understood.
I was more concerned if there is any risk factors until I schedule the vehicle for a service check?
Thanks for your advice.
There are risks with traction control and ABS (and apparently hill hold...) disabled if you encounter an emergency situation where those systems could get you out of trouble if they were working. :)

Registered
I believe the brake light switch is beginning to fail. I experienced similar symptoms and then my Brake light switch got worse. At that point traction light stayed on brake light on dash stayed on, rear brake lights stayed on at all times car was on and the creep mode was disabled as well as the roll back on the hill you mentioned.

Note: At the time I actually enjoyed the feel of the car much more without all those assist items. I drove it like that almost a month.

The good news is that if that is the issue it is a easy fix to replace the brake light switch.

I have a 2014 451.

Genuine Smart Fortwo RS Brake Light switch Repair Kit NEW 451545020928 | eBay

I bought a kit like above. Had it put on a lift a changed it. It took longer to lift the car then to change it out. You could also buy the switch by itself but my case was cracked which may have led to mine failing by water getting to it.

In my case it never stopped the car from driving so don't rush to get this until you can confirm it as the issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it does feel better driving when those symptoms come on , disabled creep mode does not affect me. However the loss of traction does especially of highway or at any red light full stop and start with traffic behind me. I had my gas pedal fully floored and the car was barely rolling with about 30-40Km/h , 20mph I believe in imperial units.
Which is the most annoying and unsafe part.
However once it pick up speed in a long run it runs much smoother, NO more jerkings between the gears.
Otherwise every gear the car automatically switches it feels like a 5 year old kid learning to drive a manual clutch.

Registered
I agree it does feel better driving when those symptoms come on , disabled creep mode does not affect me. However the loss of traction does especially of highway or at any red light full stop and start with traffic behind me. I had my gas pedal fully floored and the car was barely rolling with about 30-40Km/h , 20mph I believe in imperial units.
Which is the most annoying and unsafe part.
However once it pick up speed in a long run it runs much smoother, NO more jerkings between the gears.
Otherwise every gear the car automatically switches it feels like a 5 year old kid learning to drive a manual clutch.
sounds like reluctor ring is broken/damaged . . metal gear ring around each axle that sensors reads to determine if the tires are slipping (a problem for emergency braking or when driving on slippery road or windy conditions). .

1 of my reluctor rings cracked 5-6yrs ago. driving on dry pavement not much of a problem, but in the snow it is a nightmare/the slightest turn, turns the car into a spinning top. the dealer wanted to replace the axel at ~$700 each. i was able to repair/replace the reluctor ring with help from evolution motor Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia instructions and a ~$15 reluctor ring. . . it is not an ez repair but can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts