Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might not be the correct place to post this but I couldn't find any that matched my problem and that is Traction Control, I live in the mountains of North Carolina and it is so frustrating to go around corners that are marked say at 35 and when I try to go even 28 the right front brake locks up turning left. That to me is a WHOLE LOT more dangerous that going around the corner. I have tried the ignition on and off push both buttons and the center light comes on and that works but only sometimes. Is there a way to disconnect the Traction Control permanently, removing a fuse etc, or at least adjust it, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also in WNC...........

I enjoy zooming around turns faster than the posted limit,in my 451. If your brakes activate on a slow speed left turn,
something is WRONG! Get your 453 checked at the stealership ASAP!!...............

P.S.- I run rear wheels on all 4,pumped to 40psi.................

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Agree something is probably wrong. smarts can run the Dragon (speed limit 35 mph) at lot faster than the posted limit without ESP activating. Getting the car checked out would be a good move. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this might not be the correct place to post this but I couldn't find any that matched my problem and that is Traction Control, I live in the mountains of North Carolina and it is so frustrating to go around corners that are marked say at 35 and when I try to go even 28 the right front brake locks up turning left. That to me is a WHOLE LOT more dangerous that going around the corner. I have tried the ignition on and off push both buttons and the center light comes on and that works but only sometimes. Is there a way to disconnect the Traction Control permanently, removing a fuse etc, or at least adjust it, any help is appreciated.
Did you find out what the cause was ? Mine is doing this but on other front wheel

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is actually actuating both front brakes. (In a right hand turn) The problem is that at that at that steering angle, the track of the left front wheel is outside the track of the rear wheels, causing the brake to drag you left. My solution has been to never lose front traction in the first place.

Run the same size tires front and rear, and replace them 2 at a time, with the new tires going on the front axle, and the old fronts moving to the rear. It’ll give you just enough traction bias to the front. Four new tires will reach a good front traction bias in 500 miles or so, if you have to change all 4.

lowered / widened cars suffer from this issue even more.

I am running 165/45-15 federals on 6.5” wide Genius Newtons with 50mm spacers on all four corners. Turning off the traction control is not a safe option. You lose everything, including antilock brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi thanks for info but there are different size wheels from and back also fault codes show traction control working , which it is but should not be this happens when going round a corner at average speed does not happen when going slow

·
Registered
694 Posts
It is actually actuating both front brakes. (In a right hand turn) The problem is that at that at that steering angle, the track of the left front wheel is outside the track of the rear wheels, causing the brake to drag you left. My solution has been to never lose front traction in the first place.

Run the same size tires front and rear, and replace them 2 at a time, with the new tires going on the front axle, and the old fronts moving to the rear. It’ll give you just enough traction bias to the front. Four new tires will reach a good front traction bias in 500 miles or so, if you have to change all 4.

lowered / widened cars suffer from this issue even more.

I am running 165/45-15 federals on 6.5” wide Genius Newtons with 50mm spacers on all four corners. Turning off the traction control is not a safe option. You lose everything, including antilock brakes.
View attachment 62720
Looks great.... Why That tire size? What Part of the Country are you Located in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run those tires so I can run the 50mm spacers without rubbing. It’s an improvement over 195/45-15 Toyos. They rubbed with 25mm spacers. It’s all to make the car short, fat, and stable.
On the Traction Control: Has anyone without ceramic brakes ever noticed this? I occurred to me that I never had an issue with it until I switched to those drilled/slotted rotors and ceramics.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would like to see a shot of your car to see how wide of a stance you have now.

Quick side note.......

In My mind I want the Cabriolet roll bar to go in my 451 Coupe. Question of why is mostly Cosmetic feel, so just how difficult do you think it is to get that out. I intend to go to the u pull it salvage yard to get one when the weather breaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don’t want to hijack, but I’ll get a good shot this weekend. I don’t really have any good pictures of the stance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would like to see a shot of your car to see how wide of a stance you have now.

Quick side note.......

In My mind I want the Cabriolet roll bar to go in my 451 Coupe. Question of why is mostly Cosmetic feel, so just how difficult do you think it is to get that out. I intend to go to the u pull it salvage yard to get one when the weather breaks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts