Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear of a trailer hitch manufacturer for the 453's yet? Have trailer, won't travel. I had a Curt hitch on my 2008 which worked great but I'm trying Curt to find out if they will design one for the 453's

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can't haul a trailer with a 453.

It can handle a total of two adult passengers and a bag before you start to strain the drivetrain.

That's a total of about 450 lbs.

If you need to pull a trailer you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm waiting on the 453 hitch information too!

I do understand that I can't expect to pull much weight behind my Smart 453 Passion. I have pulled with success a utility trailer with about 600 lbs of weight with my 451. I'm no expert but I would have thought that with the newer more powerful turbo engine and horsepower upgrade that the same or even more weight would be pulled with ease. My current plan is to build a mini-teardrop trailer and travel the country once an affordable hitch can be made and put on the 453. I've got my fingers crossed that Curt or one of the other hitch makers can make this happen in the near future.

-smarTony

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's in the user manual and printed on the vehicle identification plate on the B-pillar.
That does not mean the 453 can't tow a small trailer with low tongue and load weight. Plenty of folks have done the same with their 451s. I towed a trailer with my '62 VW Beetle and its 40hp engine without any problems as long as the trailer weight, tongue weight and load weight are reasonable for the car. Been doing the same with other small cars for years.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are plenty of 451's towing trailers without any problem, I had one myself. I know Daimler doesn't recommend towing but many people do it and I've never had a smart tech say a thing about it and it never voided my warranty either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Still too new is the answer I keep seeing. Suspect it's going to be a modified of a previous version. But I would look at active braking with the way the automatic behaves with slowing down. It gets rather jerky with dealing weight transfers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Still too new is the answer I keep seeing. Suspect it's going to be a modified of a previous version. But I would look at active braking with the way the automatic behaves with slowing down. It gets rather jerky with dealing weight transfers.
Curt came back to someone... they have no plans to make a hitch for the 453.

·
17,384 Posts
U-Haul would be willing to design one for the smart (it's actually how they get hitches for a lot of obscure cars), we'd just need a volunteer. I'd do it if I could find a way to get Phil to Arizona and back.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
U-Haul would be willing to design one for the smart (it's actually how they get hitches for a lot of obscure cars), we'd just need a volunteer. I'd do it if I could find a way to get Phil to Arizona and back.
I am located in Quartzsite,Az. With new 2016 Smart. Where is U Haul in Az. That needs a Smart ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am located in Quartzsite,Az. With new 2016 Smart. Where is U Haul in Az. That needs a Smart ??
The corporate office is in Phoenix. They have a big facility off I 10 just east of the 303. Here is the link to the corporate office I would think they would be the one to contact.

U-Haul Corporate Office
2727 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004
(800) 468-4285
https://goo.gl/maps/YAi3oHnQ5nQ2

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Info;
I shall give them a call....
I have a Motor Cycle 21 CFT trailer that I want to tow behind Smarty ....We are very pleased with our purchase of Smarty 2016 from West Covina, MB.
We are currently in Quartzsite, AZ. Camped on BLM Land at LaPosa South in the Magic Circle.

There are currently 5 Smarts out here in the desert camping for the winter,
We shall be here thru April and start working our way back to Federal Way,Wa. South of Seattle.

A "VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL "

Ray & Judy Lopez & the "Pooches"

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
For some reason I thought I had posted in this thread before. I am waiting for a custom hitch to be made at UHAUL's design center, in Tempe, for over a year now for an S212. (I was just offered week of Jan 30 but asked if I could get one with a long weekend off from my son's school so we could visit friends in the Phoenix area. I contacted my contact there about the 453 and got back news that they don't have plans, but he would tell me if that changes.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts