Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if you resolved the hitch issue for the Smart 453. I just purchased a 2017 and trying to figure out the best way to carry my bicyle.

Jamie

·
17,431 Posts
MDC is one of the best! The biggest problem with a towbar is that it is a different kind of receiver than what you'd normally get in America, so no cheap way to hang a bike rack or something off it. But otherwise, it's really solid!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
It would seem that a cheaper and more efficient way might be to simply remove the crash bar and take it to a welder to have one made up similar to the one that Smart Car Universe have for the 451. I posted a pic of mine earlier in the thread. That's what I plan on doing if I purchase a 453 cabrio latter this year.. Or take a curt or u-haul hitch for a 451 and have it adapted to the length and bolt positions found on the 453 (again using the existing crash bar for a template. Both solutions mean you would probability have to cut into the rear end plastics for the hitch to usable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was tired of waiting for a hitch so I made on this last weekend.

I was tired of waiting for a hitch so I made one this last weekend.
2016 453 Prime Smart car1 1/4" receiver hitch

It is a 1 1/4" receiver hitch that came out very nice if I do say so myself.
I removed all the plastic and found the bumper was very easy way to install my hitch too.

5 3/8" bolts washers and nuts
3 short pieces of 2 1/2" X 1/4" flat stock
1 6" long 1 1/4" receiver tube from Tractor supply
1 3" C channel 35" long
1 can of paint
7 Rivets

Bolting the 3" C channel in the existing bumper was perfect dimension for the 2 1/2" X 1/4" flat stock
To go down just in behind the muffler.

A little cutting and welding and I was ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What a great job! Thanks for detailed write up and pics. Good chance we will never see a Curt version with fewer than 10K 453 ICEs imported. Guess an ED could tow but not very far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everready Tom,

I want to build a hitch design like yours.

Before I start I was wondering if you made any drawings or a CAD model?

Are there clearance issues I should watch for?

Thanks,

Joe in New Orleans

·
Registered
6 Posts
VERY Smart.... Car Hitch

Hello Joe

Sorry no cad drawings, But I have tons of pictures and it is not that hard.
I will be glad Email them to you and or chat by phone if that helps.
Everready_Tom

61 - 80 of 99 Posts