Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I like your hitch mount deign.

I would like some photos if you don't mind. Please send them to j o e i n n o @ me . c o m

I see that there are lateral braces on the tow bar sold at the German place do you think your design would benefit from additional bracing. The braces are int he installation manual on page 11/15.

Thanks again,

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
And some folks never remove that "Do not remove under penalty of law” mattress tag.

Hook up that trailer and get those smart 453's off the sidewalk, live life on the edge...
Two kinds of folks on this planet: those who look for problems and those who look for opportunities. The ratio, it seems to me, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 100:1.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it's funny when people say "oh, that can't tow" just because of it's rated maximum load. Just the other week i loaded 7 bundles of GAF architectural ridge vent into my 453, split between the "trunk" and on the back of the passenger seat. About 450 lbs. worth. Plus my 230-ish lb. self. I will say it was riding quite obviously a bit lower than usual, but the engine and my 5-speed manual had no issue at all moving it. Didn't even seem to break a sweat pulling out from a dead stop.

·
17,360 Posts
I think it's funny when people say "oh, that can't tow" just because of it's rated maximum load. Just the other week i loaded 7 bundles of GAF architectural ridge vent into my 453, split between the "trunk" and on the back of the passenger seat. About 450 lbs. worth. Plus my 230-ish lb. self. I will say it was riding quite obviously a bit lower than usual, but the engine and my 5-speed manual had no issue at all moving it. Didn't even seem to break a sweat pulling out from a dead stop.
Also, the maximum load the vehicle itself can carry (often called payload) is not what the vehicle can tow in trailer weight. Example: My parents' full size SUV has a payload of 1,700 pounds, but a trailer weight capacity of 9,000 pounds.

You still shouldn't exceed your payload (gear, passengers, tongue weight of trailer) but your payload doesn't necessarily determine how heavy of a trailer that you can carry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is also this: towing is probably less than half of the consideration. Stopping is the bigger hunk. And often, much more important too. Any one else slid through an intersection with all four wheels locked up with the trailer calling the shots? Me towing a Hobie 33 with a Jeep Cherokee with cops tidying up an earlier accident at the bottom of the hill. I remember it quite well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's a grand luxury to copy off the other guy's paper. Mucho thanks to the several folks who offered designs and how-to's on building a hitch for the 453 -- and especially to Everyready_Tom who provided suggested materials, dimensions, and pictures, including a bunch sent to my e-mail. Here's the final result. I'm a little concerned about he torsional load on the old bumper and its mounts. There's quite a bit of flex. Of course, depending on the material, flex isn't necessarily bad, but I may consider a bit of a redesign to cope with it anyway. Finally, I think the reason that no one has yet manufactured a hitch for the 453 has more to do with the lack of a good anchor on the car itself, rather than limited demand. Since I built mine to carry bicycles, while very rarely pulling a very light trailer, I'm hoping for the best!

IMG_5732a.JPG IMG_5738a.JPG IMG_5735a.JPG IMG_5740a.JPG

81 - 90 of 90 Posts