Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Fortwos have the small 1.25 by 1.25 inch class 1 receiver. When I put the drawbar into the receiver and insert the pin it fits snugly side to side, but has a lot of play up and down. Every bump causes it to rattle whether I am towing or not. I took some black electrical tape and did 2 wraps around the drawbar and it would no longer fit in the receiver because the sides were too tight. I went to a single wrap of electrical tape and it would tightly start to insert but then just tear the tape. Does anyone have a solution to quiet this unruly drawbar? I am changing it out often as I use 1 7/8 ball and drawbar and another drawbar has my 2 inch one. Plus I use it a lot for my bicycle rack and it doesn't rattle because it has a bolt that threads through it instead of a hitch pin. Any ideas are appreciated. DCO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm...there are many ways to fix this issue, if you have the tools or skills required...lol. You can build up a weld and file or grind it down so it's a snugish fit compared to a sloppy one...? You could find some shim material and slip it in to do the same..? You could weld on a nut and use a bolt to tighten the opening up by winding the bolt through the nut onto the hitch...? Like i said many ways....depends upon what you have at your hands to do the work. I would build up the hitch imho first but it will take time to get it ground down to the right/perfect thickness so it easily slides back and forth. Without binding. Ask me how i know. I have used all three of these methods. Easiest but not long lasting is the shim material and hope it stays put...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Take a center punch/hammer and raise a field of 'volcanoes' on the top & bottom of the insert.

Works to increase the size a teeny bit.

SR

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
That Roadmaster thing is crazy expensive for what it is. Stop by your local AutoZone, pick up a u-clamp for like $3. It'll do the same thing as the above tool.

One suggestion I'd add is to put something soft (like a cut up rag) between the hitch and the clamp though. The Curt hitches rust way too easy and the metal on metal contact won't make that any better.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I have 1 1/2” on all 3 brand of my small cars. Only used for bike racks. I have a really nice Road Gear Rack. Here’s how to muffle the knocking noise of the Receiver hitch. Take a old bicycle tire tube. Cut it to size. To fit what every device you inserting into the receiver hitch. Glue it on insert, with 3M trim spray. Try it first on the top and bottom. If thats to thick. Just leave the rubber tube top one on. That should solve your noise issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts