Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the current owner of a Chrysler cross-over who just hauled some 2x4's home from Home Depot, but who also has ordered a ForTwo, I am wondering if the SmartCar will have an optional trailer hitch so that if needed I can use a small utility trailer to haul items longer than the car?

I know that the passenger seat does fold almost flat and that you can fit a pair of skis in a ForTwo, but how about half a sheet of plywood? Does anyone have any thoughts about how to handle the practical issue of moving something longer than the car?

Looking forward to ForTwo, even if it is mid 2008.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
There is some discussion of trailers in another thread:here

There are numerous options with the current (450) model, including towing longer canoes, etc.... so it is possible. But of course, with the introduction of a new model comes with the lag of aftermarket suppliers to design and produce a new hitch. (assuming with the redesign the current hitches won't quite fit) Bottomline is yes, but you might have to wait!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
...but how about half a sheet of plywood? Does anyone have any thoughts about how to handle the practical issue of moving something longer than the car?

I am guessing you are pushing the intended use beyond that originally conceived by the designers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The trailer question was asked at the Seattle Road show. The rep stated the trailer hitch would most likely be an after market product and that the car could pull a total of 660 or was it 606 pounds.

·
Registered
798 Posts
How often do you need plywood? If it's a once, twice or few times a year, save your $$$ and rent a truck from Home Despot for $25 and hour (or so) with purchase. haul your stuff home and then return for your smart. Is it really necessary to own a chipper for use once a year? Well, you get my meaning :)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Trailers and hitches

You can see America's first Tent trailer (First, that I've seen anyway) designed for the Smart at http://www.timeouttrailers.org

I remember this company from the early seventies. They made trailers for motorcycles. The Smart will easily pull anything that a motorcycle can pull. If they have been in business for over 30 years, they must be doing something right.
I find that the weight of their trailers are approx. half of the weight of the Europian trailers. Also Drag appears to be minimal

There is a guy here in Los Angeles that makes smart hitches.

The cargo trailer appeals to me when I think of luggage, bulky boxes, Skis, Surf-board, Kayak, dirty or messy items and I'm sure you can think of many more suggestions.

The combined length of car and trailer is no longer than the average car.

Sort of: Leave the 'Trunk' at home....... Take it when you need it.

The more I write about this, the more excited I get.

Smart Car... Smart trailer to follow

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Using Smart car for towing

Hi, I just picked up my metallic blue Passion today. I see a trailer hitch exists for the car. The manual does not indicate the maximum towing weight. Does anyone happen to know ?

Guy
Chevy Chase, Md.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, I just picked up my metallic blue Passion today. I see a trailer hitch exists for the car. The manual does not indicate the maximum towing weight. Does anyone happen to know ?
There is no "maximum towing" weight. From page 163 of your owners manual: "The manufacturer has not approved your vehicle for towing a trailer."

Arch

·
Registered
250 Posts
For What Its Worth

There is no "maximum towing" weight. From page 163 of your owners manual: "The manufacturer has not approved your vehicle for towing a trailer."

Arch
Most motorcycles have larger engines than the Smart, that tow a small trailer.
Also the M/C weighs less. Kinda of defeats the reason for the smart anyway. Maybe warranty issues too if the tranny/engine/moving parts break. I would not recommend any type of towing. Ur call tho!

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Get facts before you speak

Most motorcycles have larger engines than the Smart, that tow a small trailer.
Also the M/C weighs less. Kinda of defeats the reason for the smart anyway. Maybe warranty issues too if the tranny/engine/moving parts break. I would not recommend any type of towing. Ur call tho!

You and "Archie'" are another example of people spouting off when they don't know what they are talking about.

The German government has certified the Smart for towing (BTW: their towing regulations are much stricter than ours.

"The German government's strict TUV certifies the smart fortwo to tow a maximum of 330kg (726 lbs) with a maximum tongue load of 30kg (66 lbs) so long as the total weight (vehicle + passengers + trailer + cargo) does not exceed 1240kg (2728 lbs)."

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well thank-you

You and "Archie'" are another example of people spouting off when they don't know what they are talking about.

The German government has certified the Smart for towing (BTW: their towing regulations are much stricter than ours.

"The German government's strict TUV certifies the smart fortwo to tow a maximum of 330kg (726 lbs) with a maximum tongue load of 30kg (66 lbs) so long as the total weight (vehicle + passengers + trailer + cargo) does not exceed 1240kg (2728 lbs)."

Donald LaFavor
66lb tounge weight. hmmmmm. Dont sit on the hitch.

Not knowing what the Germans approve I guess you are correct. However, it may not be so obviouse for us Americans.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Donald LaFavor
I didn't write the owners manual, Mr Congeniality. Presumably the guy lives in the US, and the car doesn't have a "maximum towing weight" here.

Arch

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey Archie, some people just feel attacked if ya dont agree with them. Motorcycles shouldnt tow trailers, small cars that the mfg. says not to tow trailers should actually be adhered too. Saftey is the concern. Both will do it, but its not a "safe" thing to do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Due to it's short wheelbase and light weight, towing with the smart should be done prudently I would surmise. Engine size is only part of the equation. The engine, I am sure would be well powerful enough but GVW, brake size, wheelbase, towing speed all factor in.

That said, I will put a hitch on mine and tow my occasional sheet of plywood or couple 2x4s back from the Depot on my 150# trailer. I even may build another teardrop (out of AL) for towing behind it because the one I built to tow behind my VW Diesel weighs too much for my comfort at about 700 lbs.

Bottom line is yes, you can tow with anything if you have a good sense of what you are doing (tounge load, speed, etc...). The manufacturer however can't administer an IQ test for the owners and surely needs to protect themselves.

But hey, do what you want. The hitch is available and all data suggests they will tow up to approx. 700 lbs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Agree

Due to it's short wheelbase and light weight, towing with the smart should be done prudently I would surmise. Engine size is only part of the equation. The engine, I am sure would be well powerful enough but GVW, brake size, wheelbase, towing speed all factor in.

That said, I will put a hitch on mine and tow my occasional sheet of plywood or couple 2x4s back from the Depot on my 150# trailer. I even may build another teardrop (out of AL) for towing behind it because the one I built to tow behind my VW Diesel weighs too much for my comfort at about 700 lbs.

Bottom line is yes, you can tow with anything if you have a good sense of what you are doing (tounge load, speed, etc...). The manufacturer however can't administer an IQ test for the owners and surely needs to protect themselves.

But hey, do what you want. The hitch is available and all data suggests they will tow up to approx. 700 lbs.
Agreed completely. Like your car, BMW, correct. Quite the vehicle in its day.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts