Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Due to it's short wheelbase and light weight, towing with the smart should be done prudently I would surmise. Engine size is only part of the equation. The engine, I am sure would be well powerful enough but GVW, brake size, wheelbase, towing speed all factor in.

That said, I will put a hitch on mine and tow my occasional sheet of plywood or couple 2x4s back from the Depot on my 150# trailer. I even may build another teardrop (out of AL) for towing behind it because the one I built to tow behind my VW Diesel weighs too much for my comfort at about 700 lbs.

Bottom line is yes, you can tow with anything if you have a good sense of what you are doing (tounge load, speed, etc...). The manufacturer however can't administer an IQ test for the owners and surely needs to protect themselves.

But hey, do what you want. The hitch is available and all data suggests they will tow up to approx. 700 lbs.

· Registered
98 Posts
The car is an all original 1958 Isetta 300 survivor. Supposed 80 mpg if I could ever drive it far enough (at 45mph) to test that theory without getting run down. Funny enough there is a factory trailer hitch setup available for the car. It has 1 cyl, 13 hp and weighs some 600 pounds. Makes the smart look big in comparison. If you think people look at the smart you should see them when I take this for a drive:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.