Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· aka '24-42'
936 Posts
Trailers and hitches

You can see America's first Tent trailer (First, that I've seen anyway) designed for the Smart at http://www.timeouttrailers.org

I remember this company from the early seventies. They made trailers for motorcycles. The Smart will easily pull anything that a motorcycle can pull. If they have been in business for over 30 years, they must be doing something right.
I find that the weight of their trailers are approx. half of the weight of the Europian trailers. Also Drag appears to be minimal

There is a guy here in Los Angeles that makes smart hitches.

The cargo trailer appeals to me when I think of luggage, bulky boxes, Skis, Surf-board, Kayak, dirty or messy items and I'm sure you can think of many more suggestions.

The combined length of car and trailer is no longer than the average car.

Sort of: Leave the 'Trunk' at home....... Take it when you need it.

The more I write about this, the more excited I get.

Smart Car... Smart trailer to follow

Donald LaFavor

· aka '24-42'
936 Posts
Get facts before you speak

Most motorcycles have larger engines than the Smart, that tow a small trailer.
Also the M/C weighs less. Kinda of defeats the reason for the smart anyway. Maybe warranty issues too if the tranny/engine/moving parts break. I would not recommend any type of towing. Ur call tho!

You and "Archie'" are another example of people spouting off when they don't know what they are talking about.

The German government has certified the Smart for towing (BTW: their towing regulations are much stricter than ours.

"The German government's strict TUV certifies the smart fortwo to tow a maximum of 330kg (726 lbs) with a maximum tongue load of 30kg (66 lbs) so long as the total weight (vehicle + passengers + trailer + cargo) does not exceed 1240kg (2728 lbs)."

Donald LaFavor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.