Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
The car is an all original 1958 Isetta 300 survivor. Supposed 80 mpg if I could ever drive it far enough (at 45mph) to test that theory without getting run down. Funny enough there is a factory trailer hitch setup available for the car. It has 1 cyl, 13 hp and weighs some 600 pounds. Makes the smart look big in comparison. If you think people look at the smart you should see them when I take this for a drive:)

· Registered
250 Posts
I give Up!!

Another untruth.....I have pulled my trailer thousands of miles behind numerous bikes..never a problem...dont even know they are back there while driving.. Another untruth quashed!
Well I am glad you have never had issues with the trailer on your bike. I ride as well and have had enough issues I guess over the years with just the bike and potential accidents where the additiona weight and possibly the whip action of a trailer might have made me, well, dead. I am just a safety type person I guess. Ya try to have a great day/week and be safe out there.

· Registered
250 Posts
Wow

The car is an all original 1958 Isetta 300 survivor. Supposed 80 mpg if I could ever drive it far enough (at 45mph) to test that theory without getting run down. Funny enough there is a factory trailer hitch setup available for the car. It has 1 cyl, 13 hp and weighs some 600 pounds. Makes the smart look big in comparison. If you think people look at the smart you should see them when I take this for a drive:)
It looke similar to a and old BMW I think. Anyway thanks for the photo. I'll bet it does draw a crowd.

· Registered
2 Posts
You and "Archie'" are another example of people spouting off when they don't know what they are talking about.

The German government has certified the Smart for towing (BTW: their towing regulations are much stricter than ours.

"The German government's strict TUV certifies the smart fortwo to tow a maximum of 330kg (726 lbs) with a maximum tongue load of 30kg (66 lbs) so long as the total weight (vehicle + passengers + trailer + cargo) does not exceed 1240kg (2728 lbs)."

Donald LaFavor
Hi Donald,

you´ve quoted the data for the old 450 model.
There are higher values for the 451 model (45kg tongue weight + 400 kg towing weight).

I am not allowed to post a link right now - I´ll do that later if you are interested.

regards

Thorsten

· Registered
21 Posts
after market hitches in Deutschland

They are selling after market hitches in Germany.
I was looking into armrests and thanks to MikeyMike for providing the misterdotcom website.

I don't know if anyone in the states has ordered from there.

I have yet to figure out how to haul my 9ft kayak once I get my Passion.
Roof rack may not work, small trailer would possibly work, stuffing it through the hatch is probably not a viable option.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
shoulda coulda safe or not these cars run all over Europe with some interesting and very cool looking trailers... Canada too...whole groups of caravan smatries with trailers heading to the woods and lakes for camping and fellowship

I will be adding a trailer hitch but you can bet it will not be the $650 commercial option

there that ought to really tick off the safety gurus here...

one of the advertisers up top has hitch and very cool trailers

I will be doing the Harbor freight light weight trailer mod for the occasional Home-Depot/Lowe's to home toting of stuff I would rather not try and stuff in the Lil Bugger

I might even hitch up my self powered 60" tow behind mower deck and do the yard in the comfort of a climate controlled cabin... Mowing 3 acres of lawn can be enjoyable I bet... same with several of the other LARGE yard implements that I drag behind my small tractor

· Registered
2 Posts
Lack of Aftermarket Accessories

I have already encountered the "lag"... I wanted to purchase the bike rack shown in the accessories booklet, but have been told that only the base portion of the rack is available. The bike rack can not even be ordered yet, which makes me wonder what attachments ARE available for the base?

I also checked with a dealer who handles Yakima and Thule and found that they also have nothing available for the Smart... Has anyone found a source for aftermarket accessories yet?

There is some discussion of trailers in another thread:here

There are numerous options with the current (450) model, including towing longer canoes, etc.... so it is possible. But of course, with the introduction of a new model comes with the lag of aftermarket suppliers to design and produce a new hitch. (assuming with the redesign the current hitches won't quite fit) Bottomline is yes, but you might have to wait!

· Registered
263 Posts
A trailer hitch may be the answer to the no spare tire issue. Add a trailer hitch, make an arm that slides into the hitch, go up 90 degrees and weld on a plate with three studs to mount your spare. It could also be fabricated to swing down so you could acces the engine or cargo area. Only mount the spare when making long trips, it is the same concept as the add on baskets that attach to the trailer hitch you see all the time on SUVs.
Is there a U.S. source for a trailer hitch for the 451?

· Registered
6 Posts
The Smart receiver hitch from U-Haul in a few weeks..

Bob,
We'll have a verifiable Smart Hitch Wed or Thurs. 7/24 or 25, I'll let you know when its available. (Should be a couple weeks of some serious testing)
Jeff J.
Hitch Program Manager

So U_haul has finally getting a Hitch for the 451 and is in process of Testing for the US market. There are 3 other company MFG's in Canada and Europe for this hitch,at $600++ but U-Haul will be the right equipment at the lowest cost.
More to come, as it develops. Do not rush off to U-Haul for the hitch just yet. testing and more testing is required. For all the right reasons.

· Registered
79 Posts
That's great news!

BTW, does anyone know if there's enough space for the hitch if you have a modified center dual exhaust? The receiver hitch is higher, but I don't know if the other parts are in the way of the exhaust.

· Registered
79 Posts
i dont know if id put any money on that.
You can not use a hitch IF you have the center exhaust! :mad:

:RS-c.gl.zw: :smartje.rd.zw: :smartje.wt.zw:
I could be wrong, but I asked because I thought it was a matter of finding space for the 2" external hitch. I would hope the internal mechanism that attaches to the frame would not interfere with the exhaust. If it does, then it would take another mod, and then who knows what that would do to the integrity of the hitch.

Anyway, some of the hitches I've seen show it coming out almost at the top seam. I just didn't know if that was enough clearance to clear the top of the exhaust. I could always go with the side exhaust, but that's no fun.

BTW, it's my wife's car and she wants the hitch to transport garden supplies and other light "elegant" loads. I'd find a way to stealth the hitch so it wouldn't take away from the dual exhaust. In the meantime, no dual exhaust, and no hitch until I can get this resolved. Thanks! :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Seems to me you could get a welder to make a non-hidden hitch from a piece of 2" square tubing a couple of angle irons, a couple of bolts, and a bolt-on receiver hitch. Weld them together and bolt it into the towing eye holes. Not sure I'd want to use it long term, but then I'm not sure I'd want to do a whole lot of towing with my smart anyway. That's what rentals are for.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.