Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Smart Passion and I am an amateur astronomer. Does anyone know of any small trailers for Smart Cars that would be capable of hauling a telescope weighing ~100 pounds?

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Nice! They give the weight as 60 pounds, which is astonishing! But, that doesn't include the Thule box, which they apparently don't sell. I guess you could use about any cartop carrier though. Even if that tripled the weight it still be in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. Cool.

·
Registered
875 Posts
...yep...little x-car-go...no Subaru emblem...paint to match and presto...

jetfuel
I have some experience with this trailers, they are a great value and are very common for towing tires and other things like jacks, air tanks, tools etc, to autocross events.
As they come the suspension is way too stiff, they are rated for 1000 lb.+. Typical load for the autocrosser will be about 200 lb. and it will bounce all over. Running tire pressures at 20-25psi helps and removing all the leafs except for the main one makes them much nicer to haul light loads. I figure that a 100 lb. telescope would not cope well with a bunch of bouncing around but with these changes it should work better.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Yup, I have a similar setup (Harbor Freight instead of Northern tools, but neither actually makes the trailer, so it is probably the same thing). Took it 1000 round-trip, no problems.

·
Banned
441 Posts
Here are a couple of awesome motorcycle trailers which would be perfect for even a Smart to pull!

One is the folding Stinger motorcycle trailer. Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer-American Trailer Systems-Home Page

Another great trailer (which I used to own) is called 'Trailer in a Bag'. Comes apart for easy storage, weighs very little, and tracks very nicely. Single-bike trailer.

Trailer In A Bag - Motorcycle Trailers - Scooter Trailers - ATV Trailers - Trike Trailers

Towing something smaller than a bike should be super easy. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts