Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
And it's not like trains are quiet, either; around here they'd be blowing the horn before getting to the crossing.!
Some times. There are some places around Camarillo that you have to cross the train tracks to get to the beach. The Metrolink passenger trains are very quiet and will sneak up on you at 60-80mph and scare the hell out of you when they pass.:eek: There are signs all over to watch for trains because they can come up on you so unexpectedly. And no they don't blow their horns because it is residential and people have raised numerous noise complaints. They have $ so they get their way. There are a lot of places in LA where the trains don't blow their horns because of noise regulations.

·
17,372 Posts
Around here, noise laws prohibit all trains (passenger and freight) from blowing their horns. Instead they use their bells.

Even then so, a locomotive is LOUD. The noise they produce even pierces my car's cabin, and I have a loud exhaust.

And like RDM said, this person had have seen and/or already passed the train at some point, so it's not like it just magically spawned on the tracks.

This is a case of someone not paying attention...The necessity to claim that their phone was off definitely raises the BS flag...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here but the question I have is the following:

The smart under these conditions-- we see the photo and the driver came out of this quite well.

Now let's substitute a new Accord for the identical scenario.

Then let's put an Escalade in the same situation.

Finally let's throw in a Hummer 2 under the same situation.

Would any one care to guess the outcome here...

I'm not trying be silly here; I'm just curious how the smart's bounce away feature behaves with its hard shell.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ward said both she and the officers were “dumbfounded” that she wasn’t more seriously injured, especially given the size of her vehicle. Police later noted that the smaller size of the vehicle may have allowed it to be pushed away from the train rather than dragged like a larger vehicle.

“One officer said, “I thought it was a stupid car, but it was a smart car, it saved your life,” Ward said.

Calling a car stupid when you yourself are actually stupid? :rofl:

41 - 44 of 44 Posts