Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, our 451 stopped down shifting, and when started in drive or first, it will go to fourth on the up-shift. Cannot downshift with paddles or in drive. 121,000 happy mile until this. I don't see the three bars of death often referred to. Appreciate any ideas on where to start. Is smarty dead?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Been there! There is a connector back by the rear bumper, drivers side that probably has water in it. disconnect the battery, and open any connectors you see under there, dry them out and fill them with dielectric grease (or silicone grease) after about 1/2 hour , reconnect the battery and you should be good.

Took me a few days to find that one! I could reset the battery, drive about 5 miles and it would happen again until I found the soggy connector. Once I dried it, it worked great until I went through an automated car wash....

·
Registered
249 Posts
WD-40, a well-known water dispersant, will drive out any moisture from the connector, then use some die-electric grease, but not too much, as that can lead to issues too. Good call by jimvw57 as to the possible cause.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Back when my car did this, there was not a dealer in Minnesota so I didn't have much choice but to figure it out on my own. I believe I did also get an error code about a turbo input shaft too. strange as I don't have a turbo but whatever...

check out this link more information!! http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/you-kidding-error-code-p0716-38454/
That is a incorrect code translation typical of generic scan tools that sometimes will occur with non-typical hardware. The standard SAE definition of P0716 is something like "Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance". The reference to turbine is the turbine portion of a torque converter in a typical epicyclic automatic transmission which drives the transmission input shaft.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
My STAR computer was , well not available and without a local dealer at the time, I was limited to what I could use. I still think I did a rather good job of finding and rectifying the problem. Not bad for an old man! This same problem has come up a few times since 2011.

The picture added by tablist180 shows what the connector I dried out does, and in fact it is a transmission speed sensor so the description is somewhat correct.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/38aie91uh2...P sensor.PNG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts