Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started on this modification, extending wheelbase and putting Toyota 2L engine and transmission as pusher power. If all goes to plan it will end up looking like a convertible pickup, or "Smuck".
Anyone out there done something similar? I am sure headaches will arise and some previous experience could save the day.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That guy had more talent and skill than I can dream of!
I won't be attempting any records of any kind, just enjoying the challenge of mating the two machines and hopefully come up with a bit more comfortable ride along with questionable gazes from passers by.
Am a bit concerned with making appropriate changes to front end/steering setup. Can't figure out how the current setup fits with traditional Ackerman principle, and how to modify it for longer wheelbase.
Any input from others would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow that’s thinking outside the box.
I have thought of doing like Barney o did on one of these cars at some point(would use the factory drivetrain for my golf cart) just to see if I got any takers on a race at some point.
Anyway looks cool as heck and I wonder how it would drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments and links. I too am interested in how it will handle! I am making the rear suspension extremely adjustable in every aspect so I can experiment and hopefully find a sweet spot.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Jet I’ve shown a few people the first one.
They was shocked when they seen it.
Needless to say I would like to do one like it myself sometime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just getting started on this modification, extending wheelbase and putting Toyota 2L engine and transmission as pusher power. If all goes to plan it will end up looking like a convertible pickup, or "Smuck".
Anyone out there done something similar? I am sure headaches will arise and some previous experience could save the day. View attachment 67752
wouldn't it be easier to just put the body on a small truck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would not only be smart (no pun intended) but also way too easy. I do like the body design of the smart car with it's rather unique safety cage built in. I also want to keep the weight down so that the doubling of the horsepower will give it a little more spark.
Then again if it all falls over I might be looking for a donor truck.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts