Smart Car of America Forum banner

Transmission Error P074D (Wont shift into 5th gear.)

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bobby hines 
#1 ·
2013 Smart Fortwo Pure with 61,000 miles on it. Started getting a trouble code and it would not go into 5th gear and made this "whizzing" sound when it tried to go from 4th to 5th when the codes were cleared. Took it to the dealer, they call back and say I need a new clutch and clutch attenuator. He states "Worst case scenario it will be about $5800." $5800? The car is not even worth that. He tells me he is going to "talk to his manager" to see if perhaps Mercedes will cut me a break on the price. $5800 sounds a tad bit steep. Especially when I can buy a used transmission and clutch attenuator for $500 that has less than 20K on it. Down side is that I could be rolling the dice on that one.

Anyone else run into that same issue? Does the $5800 seem a bit high to you? I have considered parking the beast for 30 days while I go purchase an extended warranty from my bank, then go in to another shop to get it repaired. :)

Thanks!
Bill

#5 ·
First, $5800 seems high, even if they kiss you goodnight and tuck you in bed. Of course, it would help to get a straight story from you. First you said they told you it needed and clutch and clutch actuator, then later you said transmission and transmission actuator (shifter motor). Which is it? If you want advice, opinions or even wild guesses you need to get your facts straight.

I think you could get a used transmission complete with shifter motor for anywhere from $250 up and have a independent shop install it. That assumes that is what it needs. Since I can not see the car from here, I offer no further advice.

Unless the car is green. Green cars usually need a transmission.

#6 ·
Clutch actuator. Given, I can purchased a used transmission for $500 with less than 20K on it, and pray it doesn't have issues as well. The labor to remove the old and install the new transmission it whats going to cost. I am curious to hear what the shop says when they check with Mercedes to see if they will perhaps cut me a break on price. Called Smart Madness and they told me worst cast was like $3200. Hell, That sounds MUCH better than $5800. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.