Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you do transmission fluid change on the 2016 model?
I heard it’s a closed unit and so you can’t do it. Is that real?
I saw a video of transmission fluid change on a 2008 model so was confused...

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Two different transmission altogether. 451is a manual transmission. With a gear box. The 453 is a dual clutch automatic. Check your owners manual for the scheduled transmission maintance. Give the dealer a call too. Some of modern transmission, require the first maintance over 100 K miles. I have 2 other cars brands, the automatics are sealed. There isnt even a transmission filter to change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two different transmission altogether. 451is a manual transmission. With a gear box. The 453 is a dual clutch automatic. Check your owners manual for the scheduled transmission maintance. Give the dealer a call too. Some of modern transmission, require the first maintance over 100 K miles. I have 2 other cars brands, the automatics are sealed. There isnt even a transmission filter to change.
For the 453 Smart with an automatic transmission...

You need 1.7 liters of MB 235.73 fluid...

this look like for MB.. I’m taliking about Smart Fortwo. 453. Automatic

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yup a 6spd dual clutch Getrag transmission. Change to Valvoline automatic transmission fluid +5 with the MB ANSI rating on the back. Stuff is expensive, but better than paying MB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Transmission/Transaxle Sealed and do not changed oil is BS. Preventive maintenance is cheaper and easy to change the transaxle oil and extend the life of Transaxle. Give your SMART some TLC and it will go the extra mile for you.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts