Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you do transmission fluid change on the 2016 model?
I heard it’s a closed unit and so you can’t do it. Is that real?
I saw a video of transmission fluid change on a 2008 model so was confused...

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Two different transmission altogether. 451is a manual transmission. With a gear box. The 453 is a dual clutch automatic. Check your owners manual for the scheduled transmission maintance. Give the dealer a call too. Some of modern transmission, require the first maintance over 100 K miles. I have 2 other cars brands, the automatics are sealed. There isnt even a transmission filter to change.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,118 Posts
For the 453 Smart with an automatic transmission...

You need 1.7 liters of MB 235.73 fluid...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two different transmission altogether. 451is a manual transmission. With a gear box. The 453 is a dual clutch automatic. Check your owners manual for the scheduled transmission maintance. Give the dealer a call too. Some of modern transmission, require the first maintance over 100 K miles. I have 2 other cars brands, the automatics are sealed. There isnt even a transmission filter to change.
For the 453 Smart with an automatic transmission...

You need 1.7 liters of MB 235.73 fluid...

this look like for MB.. I’m taliking about Smart Fortwo. 453. Automatic

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yup a 6spd dual clutch Getrag transmission. Change to Valvoline automatic transmission fluid +5 with the MB ANSI rating on the back. Stuff is expensive, but better than paying MB.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Transmission/Transaxle Sealed and do not changed oil is BS. Preventive maintenance is cheaper and easy to change the transaxle oil and extend the life of Transaxle. Give your SMART some TLC and it will go the extra mile for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2016 smart car and asked the local dealer to see a MB document with maintenance service intervals/recommendations.I was told there wasn't any! Then I asked when do they recommend changing the automatic transmission fluid. I was told at 40k miles. They charge $480.00 for the service including the transmission filter. So i drive over to the dealership to buy the transmission filter. The parts dept fittled around on his computer and after several minutes said you car has no transmission filter You will need three cans of the MB transmission fluid at $37.00 per bottle. Every time I try to learn something about my Smart car, I find a complete lack of information from the dealer or just simple wrong information. Then ask who makes the oil filters used on my smart car. Oh, its made by Mercedes Benz. More BS and misinformation!! So a buy the oil filter, take it out of the box & it says "Renault" along with their part number!! Makes sense, car is made in France. Cost$22.00 for a paper element, not even an easy to change canister!! Next oil change, I will install and adapter allowing me to use a Premium canister filter by WIX. It is the filter I use on liberty jeep diesels. These are (in my opinion) a much better filter. Wix p/n 51516XP extended performance, designed for Full-Synthetic oils. Or the std wix filter, 51516. I think the adapter plate was $15.00.
I owned a bmw 525 an their was a sticker on the transmission saying the oil was good for the life of the car. It was a Getrag transmission. Then ask bmw what rebuild costs. Getrag says to change fluid at 60k miles! Also, there is no dip stick on the bmw to check trans fluid. More German quality? BMW------Brake My Wallet!! Same with MB!! Price for a spare key for your smart!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am finding very little "accurate " information on smart car from MB . Many complaints regarding gas gauge, tank problems.
They know about the problems and don't want the public to know because that will cost too much for them to make right!! I carried around a 1gallon can of spare fuel because I did not trust the gas gauge and other issues with trying to fill fuel. You should do some serious digging for information and then make decision on what is accurate information. Example: try to find out how much fuel the tank holds. You will have several answers!! I gave up on this question so I actually measured mine to where i was satisfied the tank on my car holds a little over 10gallons! I went 460 miles on one tank of fuel, then it took 10.1 gallons to refill. drove 20 miles with the low fuel lite on zero.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are several cars that use a Getrag dual clutch transmission, Vw, audi, Porsche and they all use the same type of transmission fluid. Its like the Mercedes Benz telling me they make the oil filter for my2016 smart car. Total BS!!, the filter is made by Renault and come in a MB box and with the Renault p/n on it!! MB spec!! And my car only runs on MBspec air!! The buz word from MB regarding their spec is ;more than likely To get you to to pay the big markup they charge.
Ask for a price for a spare key for a 2016 smart car. After much reseach, I had ;one made for $125.00. ASk to see the spec on the transmission fluid---they can 't tell you!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your missing the main point here:

Any deviation from MB spec items while under warranty will void same. All filters. Engine mods.

When my car was in for dealer maintenance or repairs, they made sure everything I did was kosher. Even to checking my use of Mobil 1 oil. (I don't know just how they discerned that, prolly by the putrid smell of it)

After 4 years/50k miles, do what you want. Besides MB doesn't give a **** about you and your Smart.

Smarts were no mystery. Plenty of data available either free or by subscription. Google is your friend.

Most of us know there were 3 different oil filters called for in a '16 Smart, I had to send a photo to my parts guy to get the right one. Among other things, I did get a whole new gas tank/fuel pump under warranty. The gas gauge was still wonky.

SR

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you have a 453 with the Getrag XMSN or the 451 with the Mitsu? As long as any POL has the MB spec on the back... Mother Being can pound sand. Religiously use the $20 Wiz on the engine with 4qts. 0W-20. European Dextron +VI or some jazz.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts