Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the smart car dealer and spoke with them about some services for my car and mentioned changing the transmission fluid. They responded by telling me that the transmission fluid was lifetime and that the techs and Smart car themselves did not recommend changing it. This does not seem right. I have the Redline fluid (50304). Should I change it?(Nearing 40k miles) Does anyone have any solid evidence that the fluid needs to be changed?

08' Smart Fourtwo passion

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's a good question, not to be snotty, but doing a search on this you'll have hours and hours of reading on just this question. with no concrete answer. you can go with your gut and change it.

I changed mine, I used Amsoil, Synthetic, 75W-90, GL-4 (2.5 QTS), at 61,641 miles

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I changed mine to the Redline at 60K. I didn't notice any change, but I know I increased the life of mine looking at how much junk came out with the old fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My personal recommendation is to leave the fluid alone until at least extremely high mileage. 150,000+ miles. As long as you aren't suffering any leaks.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
My thought process would be to change the tranny oil sooner than later... Reason is simple, minute particles that have come loose from wear,machining,and burrs from a new assembly are now circulating throughout the insides of your rotating parts...Early removal of this oil, say 3 to 5 thousand miles will rid the contamination and the new fresh oil should be good for a very long time...
In earlier years it was common to remove the "break in" oil in the engine of a new car... Same reasons apply here...:wink:
If you want to put a lot of miles on the oil & then change it... Might as well save your money ...Wear has already taken place...:wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts